Photo Contest - A Stranger In A Strange Land (6/13-6/19)

In summary, the photo contest has the theme of "A Stranger In A Strange Land" and is open to both amateur and professional photographers. Submissions must be original and in digital format, with a minimum resolution of 2000 pixels on the longest side. Only one entry per person is allowed. The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, technical skill, and adherence to the theme. The prize for the winner is $500 and the winning photo will be featured on the website, social media, and newsletter.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
A Stranger In A Strange Land

The theme is on a photo you took outside of your "home country". For this contest, if you were born in Country A, you grew up in Country B, but you are now a resident of Country C, then Country A, B, and C are considered as your "home country" and pictures taken there do not qualify.

Please identify the country/place that is in your photo.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Likes DennisN and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Владикавказ - Осетия-Алания - Россия
Vladikavkaz - Ossetia - Russia

(at one of the several parties around a wedding)

Album_2_25_a.jpg

P.S.: I officially can stand 14 over a day. 14 of Сто грамм для храбрости.

Last edited:
Likes atyy
lake Como, Italy.jpg

Lake Como, Italy.

Likes BillTre
Lenin square in Novosibirsk, Siberia. The obligatory statue of Lenin has him striding confidently ahead to the future. His head is turned to (where else?) the left. Behind him are five standing figures, a couple nearer to the viewer and a trio farther in. The couple consists of a woman farmer holding a stalk of wheat (abundance) and a student raising a torch (enlightenment). Both point to a trio of armed figures, a Russian revolutionary, a Red Army soldier and a partisan. The ensemble is completed with a fast forward to the less-than-heroic future: two teenagers, busy with their cellphones and totally oblivious to each other and their surroundings.

strangeland.jpg

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and atyy
img-615024658-0001.jpg

Taken from the ferry out to sandbar beach community. Northern area , away from downtown Kaohsiung, Taiwan
img-615024658-0001.jpg

Last edited:
Likes atyy
A coastline of Jamaica, from the chairlift on Mystic Mountain.
DSCN1100.JPG

Zz.

2011-09-15 021_crop.jpg

Osaka Evening

Likes kuruman and berkeman
strangeland.jpg

Sofia, Bulgaria: Prince Alexander I Square (May 1989). At the right is the mausoleum of Georgi Dimitrov, the first communist leader of Bulgaria.

A year later, the communist regime had ended. Dimitrov's body was removed from the mausoleum, cremated, and interred in Sofia's Central Cemetery. The building was finally destroyed in 1999. It took four tries to blow it up. :woot:

You can see a more-or-less current aerial view of the site here. I was standing at approximately the location of the marker labeled Square "Kniaz Aleksandyr I", at upper left.

Last edited:
Likes atyy and berkeman

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "A Stranger In A Strange Land". This means that the photo should capture a moment or scene where someone or something is in an unfamiliar or foreign environment.

2. When is the submission deadline for the photo contest?

The submission deadline for the photo contest is June 19th at 11:59 PM EST. Any entries submitted after this time will not be considered.

3. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?

Yes, you can submit up to three photos for the contest. However, each photo must be unique and follow the theme of "A Stranger In A Strange Land". Duplicate entries will not be accepted.

4. How will the winner be determined?

The winner will be determined by a panel of judges who will review all the submissions and select the photo that best captures the theme and demonstrates creativity and technical skill. The winner will be announced on June 25th.

5. What is the prize for the winner of the photo contest?

The winner of the photo contest will receive a cash prize of $500 and their photo will be featured on our website and social media platforms. They will also receive recognition as the winner of the contest and a certificate of achievement.