Photo Contest - Annoyance (2/9-2/15)

In summary, the photo contest is centered around the theme of "Annoyance" and is open to all individuals regardless of age, nationality, or profession. Participants can submit a maximum of two photos and the deadline for submission is February 15th. The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges and announced on February 22nd.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Annoyance

Take a photo of something that annoys or bugs (not in the literal sense) you. Is there something that irritates you often? Take a photo of it and post it here.

Advice: Don't submit a photo of your spouse. It is not a good idea! :wideeyed::biggrin:

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Likes AlexCaledin
Physics news on Phys.org
IMG_20190210_104521.jpg

Cigarette smokers/cigarettes. This seedy third string seaside resorts population has about 50% lowlife, ,obnoxious, ignorant smokers. Both local and foreign.

Attachments

• IMG_20190210_104521.jpg
    IMG_20190210_104521.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 409
Likes AlexCaledin
Asinine television ads

annoying.jpg

Attachments

• annoying.jpg
    annoying.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
Likes BillTre and davenn
kuruman said:
Asinine television ads
don't get me started ! hahaha

I have a photo in mind, but it would fall afoul of the forum's "no politics" policy...

Likes davenn, YoungPhysicist and BillTre
Ibix said:
I have a photo in mind, but it would fall afoul of the forum's "no politics" policy...
Only one? I have several good candidates in mind, but I wouldn't be able to defend posting one of them exactly because of the policy you mentioned. Outright denial that such a picture is political in nature may be convincing in circles that ignore facts, but not here at PF. To echo @davenn, don't get me started.

Likes Ibix
kuruman said:
Only one?
Only one I've taken...

Deer wandering in my driveway...
deer.jpg

Attachments

• deer.jpg
    deer.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 363
Likes Ibix
I had already staked my spot and set up my camera, and the fireworks had already started, when in the middle of it, this guy stood right in front of me and ruined the view!

IMG_3491.JPG

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_3491.JPG
    IMG_3491.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 404
Likes AlexCaledin
Goose poop on the sidewalk near the college’s pond.

AF165025-81D5-4755-B823-18B7120B0736.jpeg

Attachments

• AF165025-81D5-4755-B823-18B7120B0736.jpeg
    AF165025-81D5-4755-B823-18B7120B0736.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 371
Likes AlexCaledin
ZapperZ said:
I had already staked my spot and set up my camera, and the fireworks had already started, when in the middle of it, this guy stood right in front of me and ruined the view!
With me, it's the car that zips in front of the streetcar or train that I'm taking a picture of, just as I'm clicking the shutter. If I hadn't found my candidate while walking today, I might have looked for one of those now that you've reminded me of them.

All that frigging snow
IMG_9430.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9430.jpg
    IMG_9430.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 405
  • Haha
Likes DennisN, davenn and AlexCaledin
Dirt/crud/dust/stuff on my camera sensor:

367b5ee9-e586-4c78-b3ff-f494b7850210-original.jpg

Attachments

• 367b5ee9-e586-4c78-b3ff-f494b7850210-original.jpg
    367b5ee9-e586-4c78-b3ff-f494b7850210-original.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 341
Likes DrClaude
I have friends with handicapped vans that need to use the ramp to get in an out. That's why some handicapped spots are marked "Van Accessible", to keep the "No Parking" crosshatch area clear for ramps. It's bad enough to see folks parking in handicapped spots or in those ramp zones, but a US Government Postal Truck?

(The car on the left does have a handicap placard hanging from her mirror, and she really does need it to get around)

Postal Delivery Truck in Handicap Parking Again Jan 2018.jpg

Attachments

• Postal Delivery Truck in Handicap Parking Again Jan 2018.jpg
    Postal Delivery Truck in Handicap Parking Again Jan 2018.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 375
Likes davenn, Wrichik Basu and fresh_42
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

I hate to breath it. Not that I have much choice.

widze_czym_oddycham.jpg

Attachments

• widze_czym_oddycham.jpg
    widze_czym_oddycham.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 567
Likes Wrichik Basu
Maybe this time @ZapperZ should include the explanations for the pictures in the voting thread.

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 523
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 211
epenguin said:

Unfortunately, this appears to me to be a screen shot, which does not qualify as a photograph. I may be wrong, but you submitted it rather late, too late for me to have any reasonable time to inquire (it was also posted past the date of the contest). So I have to make an on-the-spot judgement and disqualify the entry.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately, this appears to me to be a screen shot, which does not qualify as a photograph. I may be wrong, but you submitted it rather late, too late for me to have any reasonable time to inquire (it was also posted past the date of the contest). So I have to make an on-the-spot judgement and disqualify the entry.

Zz.
Point of clarification for future reference: A screen shot does not qualify whereas a photograph of that same screen does. Correct?

kuruman said:
Point of clarification for future reference: A screen shot does not qualify whereas a photograph of that same screen does. Correct?

Technically, no. In fact, I debated on whether to let your submission in this contest to go through.

The spirit of the contest here is that the subject has to be an object or an entity depicting something. A photo of a scene on a screen is no different than a picture of a picture. If the contest is all about a TV, and the photo shows a scene on the screen, that's fine, because the subject is the TV, not what's on the screen. The subject of the contest must not be something found in a drawing, a scene on a screen, a print, a painting, etc. Otherwise, a contest on mountains can easily be a snapshot of a mountain scene displayed on a computer screen. It must be a direct photo of a mountain.

Rule of thumb: unless stated otherwise, if the subject of your photo is depicted via another medium, chances are, it doesn't qualify.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Rule of thumb: unless stated otherwise, if the subject of your photo is depicted via another medium, chances are, it doesn't qualify.
But you allowed the tv ad screenshot (#2 of the voting) whereas the computer screenshot does not qualify? I don't see the difference, but I understand that both are annoying.

Well I thought it was a digital image, however arrived at and so it seemed to me would be OK.
And in fact with my computer skills, taking a photo of the screen would have been faster, looked about the same, and I would have made it in time.
And for this competition it's the idea that counts a lot, so it portrays something that may have annoyed a lot of people sometimes.
But whatever you say.

ZapperZ said:
Technically, no. In fact, I debated on whether to let your submission in this contest to go through.

The spirit of the contest here is that the subject has to be an object or an entity depicting something. A photo of a scene on a screen is no different than a picture of a picture. If the contest is all about a TV, and the photo shows a scene on the screen, that's fine, because the subject is the TV, not what's on the screen. The subject of the contest must not be something found in a drawing, a scene on a screen, a print, a painting, etc. Otherwise, a contest on mountains can easily be a snapshot of a mountain scene displayed on a computer screen. It must be a direct photo of a mountain.

Zz.
I am glad you decided not to disqualify my entry. The contest asked us to "take a photo of something that annoys or bugs (not in the literal sense) you." Thus, all recent submissions were by necessity photographs of annoying tableaux. Asinine TV ads annoy me, so how can I illustrate this annoyance without posting a photograph of an asinine TV ad? If the subject of the contest had been "Blue cows pouring milk substitutes", then yes, my entry should have been disqualified as a photo of the subject depicted through another medium. That's how I convinced myself that my entry obeyed the rules. I take this opportunity to thank you for spending the time to run these contests. They're fun and often informative.

fresh_42 said:
But you allowed the tv ad screenshot (#2 of the voting) whereas the computer screenshot does not qualify? I don't see the difference, but I understand that both are annoying.

That was why I said I debated if it should have been allowed.

From now on, such an entry will not qualify and will count as a "photo of a theme depicted by a secondary medium".

Zz.

Borek said:
I hate to breath it. Not that I have much choice.

View attachment 238793
IMG_20190217_080634.jpg

I wish I had your problems. Top photo now, lower post card rain season

Attachments

• IMG_20190217_080634.jpg
    IMG_20190217_080634.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 241
morrobay said:
I wish I had your problems. Top photo now, lower postcard rain season
This is like a division by zero: One can always find something (ε) if a given thing (x) is related to (/) appears negligible in comparison (x/1 << x/ε).

Polish cities are one of the most polluted in the world, no joke to live here. Norms for PM2.5 and PM10 being exceeded several hundred percent are nothing unusual where I live. Sadly it became part of the local political war (in a similar way to global warming) and is not treated seriously ATM.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of this photo contest is "Annoyance". We are looking for photos that capture moments of frustration, irritation, or annoyance.

2. Who is eligible to participate in the photo contest?

This photo contest is open to everyone, regardless of age, profession, or nationality. We welcome submissions from both amateur and professional photographers.

3. How many photos can I submit?

Each participant can submit up to 3 photos for this contest. However, we encourage you to only submit your best work.

4. What are the judging criteria for the photo contest?

The judging criteria for this photo contest will be based on creativity, composition, relevance to the theme, and overall impact of the photo.

5. How do I submit my photos for the contest?

To submit your photos, please follow the instructions provided in the contest announcement. Usually, you will need to upload your photos to a designated platform or email them to the contest organizers.