Photo Contest - Bad Photo (6/6-6/12)

In summary, the "Bad Photo" category in the photo contest is meant to encourage photographers to think creatively and capture unique or unconventional images. Technical perfection is not the main focus, but rather originality and how well the photo fits the theme. Minor edits are allowed, but major alterations are not. Each participant is limited to one entry per category to ensure fairness.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Bad Photo

This is also another one of our popular and recurring themes that we haven't had in a while. So it is back now.

This is a contest for your photos that didn't turn out as well as you expected. Maybe it is blurry, shaky, underexposed, overexposed, finger on the lens, too dark, etc. Be proud of those unwanted accidents and show them here!

Please note that these bad photos must have been taken by accident and not on purpose.Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Likes mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
The only reason why I didn't delete these photos is this contest.

P1130011.JPG

• Haha
Likes davenn, Klystron, DennisN and 1 other person
I'm not good at focusing, but I'm slowly getting there... :smile:

49978309056_7346a6c7c4_c.jpg

Likes davenn and BillTre
DennisN said:
I'm not good at focusing, but I'm slowly getting there... :smile:

View attachment 264252
You must shoot such photos on your way in not out.

• Haha
Likes DaveE, Wrichik Basu, DennisN and 1 other person
Taken while trying to switch lenses for a selfie.
badphoto.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes DennisN and BillTre
So close to being absolutely perfect.

IMG_6645.jpg

• Haha
Likes davenn, BillTre, Klystron and 2 others
Unintentional 'Op-Art' produced while positioning my phone during a family hike.

1591562352623.png

Likes Rubidium_71, Wrichik Basu, davenn and 5 others
Klystron said:
Unintentional 'Op-Art' produced while positioning my phone during a family hike.
Cool photo!

Likes Klystron
First time taking a photo of the stars

DSCF0496.jpg

• Haha
Likes 256bits, Adesh, DaveE and 5 others
brainpushups said:
Congratulations, you found one giant black hole. Perfectly, flawlessly captured on photo.

Likes Wrichik Basu and davenn
brainpushups said:

View attachment 264290
I dig this map of the night sky! It reminds me of Lewis Carroll's celebrated stanza from "The Hunting of the Snark",

He had bought a large map representing the sea,
Without the least vestige of land:
And the crew were much pleased when they found it to be
A map they could all understand.

Likes DennisN, Klystron, DrClaude and 1 other person
Murphy's Law applied to wildlife photography - the animal will always move at the worst possible moment.
IMG_0985.JPG

• Haha
Likes atyy, Rubidium_71, Klystron and 6 others
Finally, my specialty. It is very hard to get great photos in a moving boat, especially when rocking back and forth in waves made by other boats at times when the light does not allow a fast shutter speed. I see lots of great wildlife while fishing, but not many great pictures.

DSCN1681 (2).JPG

Likes DennisN, morrobay, Klystron and 2 others
If that's a bad photo I wish I had your problems.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
fresh_42 said:
You must shoot such photos on your way in not out.
The problem is that I shoot with this hand.

• Haha
Likes fresh_42
My fingers sometime can't stand not being in the picture.

IMG_1862.JPG

Zz.

Likes BillTre and DennisN
The mysterious Blurry City...
blurry city.jpg

Likes atyy, DennisN and BillTre
brainpushups said:

I took that one myself, more than one time, back when I was learning to use a rangefinder camera.

Sports photography is hard <sigh>
DSC02492.jpeg

• Haha
Likes Klystron, DennisN, berkeman and 1 other person
Ibix said:
Does anyone else see Captain Picard in goal?
Not me. What's up? Have you been binge-watching Star Trek lately? :smile:

Likes Klystron
IMG_20200612_095110 (1).jpg

Transverse buoy waves and -x,-y horizon

Likes atyy and DennisN
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

1. What is the purpose of a "bad photo" contest?

The purpose of a "bad photo" contest is to celebrate the beauty in imperfection and challenge traditional notions of what makes a good photo. It allows photographers to showcase their creativity and unique perspectives by intentionally taking photos that may be considered "bad" by traditional standards.

2. How do you determine the winner of a "bad photo" contest?

The winner of a "bad photo" contest is typically chosen by a panel of judges based on criteria such as creativity, originality, and the ability to evoke a strong emotional response. Technical aspects such as composition or lighting may also be considered, but the main focus is on the overall impact of the photo.

3. Can anyone participate in a "bad photo" contest?

Yes, most "bad photo" contests are open to anyone interested in photography. Some may have specific requirements, such as only allowing amateur photographers or limiting the number of submissions per person, so be sure to check the rules before entering.

4. Is post-processing allowed in a "bad photo" contest?

It depends on the specific contest rules. Some "bad photo" contests may allow minor adjustments such as cropping or color correction, while others may only accept photos that are completely unedited. Be sure to read the guidelines carefully before submitting your entry.

5. Do "bad photos" have to be intentionally bad to be considered for a contest?

Not necessarily. While some photographers may purposely take "bad" photos for the contest, others may submit photos that were taken without the intention of being "bad". What matters most is the overall effect and creativity of the photo, not the original intent behind it.