Photo Contest - Rock The Boat (8/25-8/31)

In summary: That's really cool! My friends and I go out on cruises all the time and I've never seen one that close. I'm glad you took the time to take the picture and post it.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Due to popular demand, our PF Photo Contest is BACK starting this week. All the rules are the same as before.

Rock The Boat

The theme this week involves boats and other floating vessels. It includes ocean liners, powerboats, sailboats, kayaks, barges, and dinghies. What are not included are model boats, toy boats, floating bath tubs, and anything that does not carry at least a person. If you are unsure if your vessel qualifies, contact me.

Good luck!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well unfortunately I just got my digital camera a few weeks ago and haven't had the chance to capture pictures of many boats yet! I hope you can all excuse me for setting the bar so incredibly low, but can I get points for participation? :shy:

Dingy with people in it on the Bow River sighted on my trip to Calgary. (Quality is kinda poor, was a 20x + zoom shot (mostly digital) with lots of cropping needed as I didn't originally intend to capture a picture of the people in the boat)

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9024/p1000654jx5.jpg

Glad to see the PF photo contest back Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay for the return of the contest! Thanks to Zz and those who pestered him to bring it back. :biggrin:

1238516268_5f8147a1b7.jpg

I'm so glad the photo contests are back! I have to go dig around for a boat picture now...I hope I even have one lol I don't see to many boats in my area haha.

Siddharth that picture looks so cool!

Thanks. I took that one last christmas just outside sentosa island

Great photo ZZ.
It's great to see the contest back. I'll have to root my camera out and take a walk down by the river tomorrow!

scorpa said:
I'm so glad the photo contests are back! I have to go dig around for a boat picture now...I hope I even have one lol I don't see to many boats in my area haha.

Siddharth that picture looks so cool!

Hear! Hear!

I have the perfect picture. Proplem is, my usual computer is currently stored in the garage due to work being done in the house. I hope it is back before the end of the contest.

Last edited:
I can't find my camera lead :frown:

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6274/cruiseshipiy0.jpg

A 3200-passenger cruise ship docked at uptown Saint John. I use this to show friends the scale of uptown versus the scale of a cruise ship. The reddish (with black stripes) building to the left of the ship is the Hilton. Compare sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
boatyboat.jpg

This is the Spurn Lightship. It once acted as a beacon near the Humber mouth but now it rests in the dock as a museum.

George Jones said:
A 3200-passenger cruise ship docked at uptown Saint John. I use this to show friends the scale of uptown versus the scale of a cruise ship. The reddish (with black stripes) building to the left of the ship is the Hilton. Compare sizes.
Wow! :bugeye:

This is a reminder that you have less than 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

1. What is the theme of the PF Photo Contest - Rock The Boat?

The theme of the PF Photo Contest - Rock The Boat is water vessels, such as boats, ships, and canoes, in natural or manmade environments.

2. How many photos can I submit to the contest?

You can submit up to three photos to the PF Photo Contest - Rock The Boat. However, each photo must be unique and not a duplicate of another entry.

3. Can I edit my photo after submitting it to the contest?

No, once a photo is submitted to the PF Photo Contest - Rock The Boat, it cannot be edited or modified in any way. This includes any adjustments or filters made through photo editing software.

4. Who can participate in the PF Photo Contest - Rock The Boat?

The PF Photo Contest - Rock The Boat is open to all individuals who are at least 18 years old and reside in a country where the contest is not prohibited by law. Employees of the sponsoring company and their immediate family members are not eligible to participate.

5. How will the winners be determined in the PF Photo Contest - Rock The Boat?

The winners will be determined by a panel of judges who will evaluate the submitted photos based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme. The judges' decisions are final and not subject to appeal. The winners will be announced on the designated date on the contest website.