Photo Contest - Shop Till You Drop (9/14-9/20)

In summary, the photo contest has a theme of "Shop Till You Drop" and is open to everyone regardless of age, location, or profession. To submit photos, participants must visit the official website and follow instructions for uploading and providing necessary information. Each participant can submit up to three unique photos for a chance to win cash prizes and have their photos featured on the contest's website and social media pages.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
{Administrative Note: We have had a rash of photos exceeding the size limitation of the contest lately. I'm not sure why that is suddenly happening since we have had that limitation for a quite a long time. It was imposed way back during early version of the PF interface, where too-large of a photo will cause crazy screen formatting on some devices. However, since things have changed considerably since then, and I hate to see photos being disqualified due to size issue, I am eliminating this part of the rules.

Now, the only limitation to the size of your photo is what is allowed to be uploaded to PF. So if your file is too large to be submitted, you can blame Greg, not me! :smile::-p So Rule #2 on size limitation has been modified.
}

Shop Till You Drop!

The theme is on shopping!

Your photo must CLEARLY show a scene at a mall, a store, a shop, a marketplace, a grocery store, a farmer's market, etc... anywhere where people buy things. Online or virtual shopping does not qualify.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Likes Borg, DrClaude and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
The entrance to the maze of an IKEA store in Sweden.
48739840171_2cf10a7cc9_c.jpg

Likes homerwho and Borg
Once upon a time, it was possible to shop till you drop here.

shoptilldrop.jpg

Richland Mall (Columbia SC)

Last edited:
Likes homerwho and Borg
7AD5F936-7004-47C5-B0E3-57D2A73385CF.jpeg

Likes Borg, Bystander and berkeman
I'm happy to see that all the other photos are of cooler places than an IKEA store. :smile:

1568779616906.png

Had to pay each sales girl 100 baht ($3.33) for photos.
The girl on left is usually pretty spooky but was all smiles today. And that 200 baht would be about half the price of an ordinary red wine. Thanks to the very high wine (foreigners) tax.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
We have had a rash of photos exceeding the size limitation of the contest lately. I'm not sure why that is suddenly happening since we have had that limitation for a quite a long time.
Speaking for myself, I accidentally selected the original version of the image instead of the cropped one I had created, nothing nefarious intended, just an honest mistake. Since everything rendered in the thread just fine, I didn't notice my error at the time.

A Disney Outlet store in Orlando, FL. I should never be let loose in a place like that.

IMG_1889.JPG

Zz.

"Yes, Madam?"

Shopping at the grocers about 120 years ago, England
fullsizeoutput_10f0.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes morrobay and Rubidium_71
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Shop Till You Drop". This means that participants are encouraged to take photos related to shopping, such as shopping bags, storefronts, or people shopping.

2. How long will the photo contest run?

The photo contest will run from September 14th to September 20th. This gives participants one week to submit their photos.

3. How many photos can I submit?

Each participant is allowed to submit one photo for the contest. Make sure to choose your best shot!

4. Can I edit my photo before submitting it?

Basic editing, such as cropping or adjusting brightness, is allowed. However, heavily edited or photoshopped images will not be accepted. The goal of the contest is to showcase natural and authentic photos.

5. How will the winner be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme. The winner will be announced on September 21st on our website and social media pages.