Photo Contest - What COVID-19 Makes Me Miss The Most (7/4-7/10)

In summary, the photo contest's purpose is to capture and share things that people miss due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It is open to anyone who follows the guidelines set by the organizers, regardless of age or background. To submit a photo, participants must follow the instructions provided by the organizers, which may vary. There is often a prize for the winning photo, but the details may differ for each contest. Participants can usually submit more than one photo, but it is important to choose the best ones to ensure a higher chance of winning.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
What COVID-19 Makes Me Miss The Most

We had to do a lot of sacrifices when the pandemic broke. We had to give up many things and stopped doing many activities. So for this week, show us your photo that depicts something or an activity that you missed the most.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
IMG_20200705_150914.jpg

IMG_20200705_150914.jpg

Access to full size computer for scans, uploads, email forwards etc. All the internet shops were closed for a few months, now open. All I have are two phones for limited internet options.

• Sad
Likes rsk and BillTre
It's been too long since I stepped on a plane.
Flying cropped.jpg

Likes davenn and berkeman
Haircuts dad gummit ! I am not crazy about the balding Tarzan look and the wife is even less so.

Took this myself with a tripod and the timer function on the camera.
1593982134872.png

• Haha
Likes davenn
ya got more hair than me haha

I would have been in the Alps now and definitely missing it:

P1020365.JPG

Likes rsk, morrobay, berkeman and 1 other person
I took a lab-oriented physics course where students could pick 3-4 experiments from a set of 12 to perform over the course of the semester. My second experiment was on the (normal) Zeeman Effect in the bright red spectral line of cadmium using a Fabry-Perot etalon. Thankfully, I wrapped up data collection for that experiment the day before my university switched to online courses.

DSC01052.jpg

I took this picture (cropped) of the Fabry-Perot fringes, along with others with the cadmium sample exposed to different magnetic field strengths. (Thanks to advice I got here!) This particular image was taken with the magnetic field at about 0.16T.

I still haven't figured out how to extract wavelength change information in a quick, correct, and reproducible manner, but I'm still working on it in my spare time (my attempt during the course was not quite right).

I miss having access to the lab and the rest of the campus. Here's to the third experiment that I would've done without COVID-19!

• Love
Likes jtbell, morrobay, berkeman and 6 others
I miss a flat I used to have which had the most amazing view from the window, out across a bay and facing E or SE, so I got to see the sunrise and moonrise from my own home. I can't see anything like as much sky from where I currently live and I missed that during lockdown.
This from Oct 2011, Málaga, Spain

DSCF0922crop-XL.jpg

• Love
Likes Rubidium_71, Wrichik Basu, morrobay and 2 others
DSC_6542 copy.jpg

My daughter qualified for "Nationals" this year- it was to be held this week in Vegas- currently 'postponed' until October in Disney World... we are not expecting this to happen, either. This image was taken after her most recent tournament- early March 2020 in Detroit, Mich. We still wonder if anyone in the crowd was infected at the time...

Likes PeroK, berkeman and rsk
covid-miss.jpg

The hobby shows and events that I normally visit about twice a month have all been cancelled. This is the American Philatelic Society's big event in Columbus OH a couple of years ago. Last year it was in Omaha. (I documented both road trips here.) This year it was going to be in Hartford CT in late August, but it was cancelled. The APS has penciled Hartford in for 2024. Next year, if the country recovers sufficiently by then, it will be in Chicago.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and rsk
Of course, what I miss the most is my multiple annual trips to Walt Disney World. This year, for the first time since the turn of the Millennium in 2000, we won't be going there even once during the entire calendar year. Horrors!

IMG_3249.JPG

Zz.

Likes berkeman
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

1. What is the purpose of the photo contest?

The purpose of the photo contest is to showcase the things that people miss the most due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This could include events, places, or people that have been affected by the pandemic.

2. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to anyone who is interested in sharing their photos and experiences related to the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes people of all ages and from all backgrounds.

3. What type of photos are allowed in the contest?

Any type of photo that expresses what you miss the most due to the pandemic is allowed in the contest. This could include photos of places, events, activities, or even people that you were not able to see or do because of the pandemic.

4. How will the winners be selected?

The winners will be selected based on the creativity, originality, and relevance of their photos to the theme of the contest. A panel of judges will review all submissions and select the top photos to be featured as winners.

5. What are the prizes for the photo contest?

The prizes for the photo contest may vary, but typically include recognition and exposure for the winners' photos, as well as potential monetary or non-monetary rewards. The specific prizes will be announced at the start of the contest.