Photo Contest - What Time Is It? (1/29-2/4)

In summary, the photo contest's theme is "What Time Is It?" and participants can submit one entry before the February 4th deadline. Rules and guidelines include original photos, digital format, and no offensive content. The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges and announced on February 10th.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
What Time Is It?

The theme this week involves a time-keeper device. This includes clocks, watches, sundials, etc. The main subject of your photo must be the time-keeper device/s.

Good luck!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread[/QUOTE]

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I'll be first with a close up of the very complicated mechanics of an hourglass.

icimx1.jpg

Time is ticking away for photo submission to this week's contest. So check on what time it is!

Zz.

It took me a while to get a compelling shot:

[PLAIN]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3088/dsc4255m.jpg

If you look, you can see the crystal oscillator. If this whole science thing doesn't work, I suppose I could get a job as a microsurgeon...

Last edited by a moderator:
zegar4.jpg

About a quarter to nine :smile:

That's a gorgeous clock, Zapper. Do you suppose it's copper?

GeorginaS said:
That's a gorgeous clock, Zapper. Do you suppose it's copper?

I'm not sure what it is made of, but it is one of the historic clock that anchors the old Marshall Fields and Co. store.

Zz.

GeorginaS said:
Do you suppose it's copper?
The green looks more like a paint than patina.

What time today do we end? I was hoping for a cooperating weather, but it seems like I have to wait till Summer, or at least till it gets dark to simulate unidirectional light :grumpy:

Less than a day left to submit a photo for this contest! Time is running out!

Zz.

My first photo contest entry!

8MHz oscillator circuit off a board I just designed:

http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/46983/2566433810056081071S600x600Q85.jpg

marcin_time.jpg

I was waiting for a Sun for almost a week, finally had to use a lamp :grumpy:

Sundial made few years ago using formulas from wikipedia and Corel Draw.

Borek said:

ITYM lampdial. I can think of lots of applications for a lampdial...

Nice pic!

Can't think of anything "arty" enough for this contest - plenty of good entries already. I was thinking of taking Rhody's calendar, propping it up on the gas range with the digital clock showing, and setting up an array of time-keeping stuff like cell-phones, wrist-watch, and double cooking timer, but that would look like crap.

Dredged from the archives: A bronze sundial mounted on top of a bee-house. Solitary mason bees are wonderful pollinators that can get deep into small blossoms that honey bees and bumblebees cannot. To encourage them to colonize my property, I drilled lots of appropriately-sized holes in a hemlock post. The sundial, although pretty accurate, is not all that handy for time-keeping because I don't want to walk to the lower end of my garden to find out what time it is, but the disk protects the post from rain, so it will last a very long time.

beepost-1.jpg

Andy Resnick said:
ITYM lampdial. I can think of lots of applications for a lampdial...

Nice pic!

My original plan was a close-up of my old mechanical watch. Two reasons for posting something else. At first, it was just that you already posted a close-up. Later it become much more serious - despite checking every box and drawer at home, I couldn't find it :grumpy:

I think last time I used it was around 1987/8. Perhaps it got lost when we moved in 2000.

Borek said:
My original plan was a close-up of my old mechanical watch.
I have a nice old Swiss-made diver's watch that I bought in the 60's. I resisted cracking the case on that because it still keeps perfect time. When the battery goes south in my quartz watch, I can fire up my old watch until I get a chance to replace the battery.

Pretty amazing, since I replaced the original band with a very flexible expandable band, and one day I forgot to take it off during a pick-up basketball game after school. I made a left-handed hook-pass about 3/4 the length of the court, and watched the watch follow the ball most of the way, hit the tile court, and slide all the way to the stage at the end of the gym. Couple of scratches on the crystal, but it still kept perfect time.

Edit: I checked the maker, and it's Andre Rivalle. I saved money from odd-jobs to pull that together and buy a discontinued model through a family friend in the retail business.

2q3vnfq.jpg

Borek said:
My original plan was a close-up of my old mechanical watch.

I looked all over for a mechanical timepiece, and couldn't find *anything*- not even in the lab stockroom, the 1960's era 'mechanical' timers run off an alternator. That's why I took the oscillator out of the can- pulled the curtain away, as it were.

Don't own an hourglass...

This old mantle clock has been in the family since the late 1800's. The hands don't point precisely at the numbers anymore.

2e579fp.jpg

epenguin said:
2q3vnfq.jpg

Prague.

Or is it not a landmark quizz?

At some moment we both (Marzena & I) thought about using almost identical picture.

Borek said:
Prague.

Or is it not a landmark quizz?

At some moment we both (Marzena & I) thought about using almost identical picture.

Well I thought it is about the best known clock in the world which would not have lasted 5 minutes as landmark quiz (didn't we have it?) and I was almost surprised you hadn't submitted it! :smile: So I didn't comment it but I thought I should compete anyway, at least I did take that one. I was annoyed with myself :grumpy: because last year I happened at Rye where there is a Church clock said to be the oldest in England. I though about photographing it and then thought nah, it's small up there and if ever wanted I can find a better postcard or something on the web. http://www.superstock.co.uk/stock-photos-images/1566-418896

Borek said:
marcin_time.jpg

That's brilliant! Is it accurate? Good picture, too, but the thing itself is intriguing.

Accurate... Depends. You can't read time with accuracy better than about 5 or 10 minutes. I hope to make a waterproof version one day and put it on the external wall.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "What Time Is It?" Participants are encouraged to capture images that depict a specific time or moment.

2. When is the submission deadline for the photo contest?

The submission deadline for the photo contest is February 4th. All entries must be submitted by 11:59 PM EST on that day.

3. How many entries can I submit for the photo contest?

Participants are allowed to submit only one entry for the photo contest. Multiple entries will result in disqualification.

4. What are the rules and guidelines for the photo contest?

The rules and guidelines for the photo contest include:

• Photos must be original and taken by the participant.
  • Photos must not have been previously published or won any other contests.
  • Photos must be in digital format and high resolution.
  • Participants must have permission from any recognizable individuals in the photo.
  • Photos must not contain any offensive or inappropriate content.

5. How will the winner be selected for the photo contest?

The winner of the photo contest will be selected by a panel of judges based on the creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme of the photo. The winner will be announced on February 10th on the contest website and social media pages.