PF's favorite movies poll - nominations

In summary, the poll will be conducted, nominations will be accepted, and the final poll will be posted in a new thread.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
Hi movielovers of PF!
I just had an idea.
After having participated and read posts of others in these two recent movie threads...

http://www.physicsforums.com/threads/movie-classics-that-totally-escape-me.976678/http://www.physicsforums.com/threads/movies-that-you-watch-over-and-over-again.977933/
...I thought it might be fun to do a poll on which are the favorite movies of PF'ers.
I normally don't like lists with points or individual rankings of things like movies, songs, music etc., but nevertheless I got interested in which movies would end up on such a list here on PF.

My idea is to conduct a poll, but first I would need nominations from a number of PF'ers so we can achieve a significant result. 5 sigmas please :smile: (no, I'm just kidding).

To achieve a more significant result than just doing a poll where I have selected the movies, I'd like each of you who want to participate to do the following here in this thread:

1. Nominate twenty (20) of your absolute favorite movies. The movies can be of any genre (except X-rated), any year, any language and any origin, but they need to be full length movies, i.e. at least 90 minutes long (ca). This means no short movies. Other than that, everything is fair game.
  2. Before your nomination, try to avoid reading the nominations of others below, in order to minimize the possibility of being influenced by the nominations of others.
  3. Note from me: I will also nominate 20 movies, but I'll do so as the last person, and I won't read the nominations of others until then.
  4. After there has been a decent number of posts in this thread, I will go through all the nominations and pick out the twenty* movies that have received the most nominations.

* The number of final movies may not be twenty though, depending on the number of nominations and movies that end up with the same number of nominations, or only one. But there will be full transparency, as I will write out the calculations of nominations before doing the final poll.
  5. After that, I will post a new thread with a final poll on these 20 top nominated movies, and after that poll we will have a list of the favorite movies on PF from number 1 to 20.
Sounds fun, doesn't it?
I hope this thread takes off, and if so, I look forward to reading the nominations, and then doing the final poll! :smile:

Last edited:
Likes WWGD, pinball1970 and Bystander
Physics news on Phys.org
  1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Kill Bill Vol. I
  3. Kill Bill Vol. II
  4. Les rivières pourpres
  5. Wasabi
  6. Décalage horaire
  7. The Fifth Element
  8. Last Man Standing (Willis)
  9. Twelve Monkeys
  10. Bulletproof Monk
  11. MIB II.
  12. The Lake House
  13. Le Comte de Monte Cristo (Depardieu)
  14. Werner - Beinhart!
  15. R.E.D.
  16. In The Heat Of The Night
  17. Grumpier Old Men
  18. Deja Vu
  19. 12 Angry Men (Fonda)
  20. Life Of Brian

Last edited:
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
Fun idea! I tend to like "classics"...
1. Casablanca
2. Singin' in the Rain
3. Ikiru
4. Some Like It Hot
5. Mister Roberts
6. The Maltese Falcon
7. North by Northwest
8. Sanjuro
9. Floating Weeds
10. The Wizard of Oz
11. 2001
12. Cleo From 5 to 7
13. Jean de Florette
14. La Dolce Vita
15. Apocalypse Now
16. Woodstock (original theater release)
17. My Man Godfrey
18. Citizen Cane
19. Rome, Open City
20. Stagecoach

Likes DennisN, pinball1970 and PeroK
1. The Great Escape
2. Papillon
3. Support Your Local Gunfighter
4. " " " Sheriff
5. Hallelujah Trail
6. Dirty Harry
7. " "
8. GB&U
9. For Few Dollars More
10. For a Fistful of Dollars
11. Bullitt
12. Back to the Future
13. " " " "
14. " " " "
15. The Count of Monte Cristo
16. Les Miserables (not the Liam Neeson version)
17. Moby Dick (G. Peck, not Patrick Stewart)
18. Guns of Navarone
19. The Eiger Sanction
20. Hatari (bet you thought I was going to omit John Wayne; it was this or Hellfighters)
(plus, in case the "franchises" are counted singly,
N by NW, Trading Places, Death Becomes Her, The African Queen)

Likes DennisN
You can learn a lot about someone's age from their list 😄

• Haha
Likes nuuskur, pinball1970, Craftek_Ana and 3 others
I'm somewhat confident that this is the definitively correct list.

1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  2. The Exorcist
  3. Alien
  4. The Princess Bride
  5. Kung Pow! Enter the Fist
  6. The Evil Dead
  7. Better Off Dead
  8. Aliens
  9. Full Metal Jacket
  10. American Beauty
  11. Aaah! Zombies! (Also known as "Wasting Away")
  12. Shindler's List
  13. Freddie Got Fingered (Actually, this one is tied with "The Wraith")
  14. Paranormal Activity
  15. Friday the 13th Part 2
  16. Polyester
  17. The Dark Crystal
  18. Robocop
  19. Star Wars (Episode IV -- A New Hope)
  20. Krull
  21. (and as a special bonus:) The River's Edge

• Haha
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
Greg Bernhardt said:
Age for sure. Can even make reasonable guesses about the person. My guess is that a preference for Steve McQueen flicks might indicate a general preference for shorter hair styles at least among males. Clint Eastwood fan's might speak at low volume in a growly tone of voice. Elizabeth Taylor lovers would speak loudly, firmly, remain the center-of-attention and life-of-the-party. Sheer guesswork but fun to contemplate.

I may concoct a list just to include "Putney Swope" 1969 or "Watermelon Man" 1970 though the 21st Century video's appear so different from the original theatrical releases that viewers may be confused. Knowing and living through the 1960-70 political crises certainly helps understanding these movies. A moot point perhaps as the running times may not meet the OP's criteria depending on excluded scenes and how many songs are included or cut by the video directors.

I guess I'm a pretty "Blockbusters of the late 20th century" kinda guy.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  2. Star Wars: a New Hope
  3. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
  4. The Princess Bride
  5. Total Recall (Original)
  6. Jurassic Park
  7. Highlander
  8. A Christmas Story
  9. Love, Actually (Don't judge me)
  10. Goodfellas
  11. Jaws
  12. Terminator
  13. Avengers: Ragnarok
  14. Blade Runner
  15. Trainspotting
  16. John Carpenter's: The Thing
  17. The Fifth Element
  18. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
  19. Alien
  20. Aliens
If Raiders, Star Wars and Princess Bride isn't on your list, we can't be friends.

• Haha
Likes DjPravu, happypersontobe, DennisN and 1 other person
In chronological order:

All Quiet on the Western Front1930
Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, The1943
Bicycle Thieves1948
Third Man, The1949
Sunset Boulevard1950
Streetcar Named Desire, A1951
La Strada1954
Les Diaboliques1954
On the Waterfront1954
Searchers, The1956
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning1960
Jules et Jim1962
Midnight Cowboy1969
Godfather, The1972
Apocalypse Now1979
Jean de Florette1986
Withnail and I1987
Thelma and Louise1990
Remains of the Day, The1993
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon2000

Likes phinds, DennisN, pinball1970 and 2 others
I like the use of tables. Going to begin my list then edit the post to add movies also directors.

[Hi, trimmed list to comply with rules. Added release dates, etc.]
[Edit2: Changed "Maltese Falcon" to 1941 release.]
TitleDirectoryear released
Godfather II and IFrancis Ford Coppola1974, 1972
Apocalypse, Now"" ""1979
2001, A Space OdysseyStanley Kubrick1968
The Shining"" ""1980
A Clockwork Orange"" ""1971
Eyes Wide Shut"" ""1999
Reservoir DogsQuentin Tarantino1992
Pulp Fiction"1994
Tora, Tora, Tora!Fleischer, Masuda and Fukasaku1970
Yojimbo (The Bodyguard)Akira Kurosawa1961
Seven Samurai (Magnificent Seven)"" "" w/ Toshiro Mifune1954
Throne of Blood (Macbeth)"" "" "" ""1957
Ran (Lear)"" ""1985
HamletLaurence Olivier1948
Cyrano de BergeracMichael Gordon1950
ShaneGeorge Stevens w/ Alan Ladd1948
"Babes in Toyland"Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy1934
Maltese FalconJohn Huston1941
"Key Largo" + "Have and Have Not"'Bogart and Bacall'
MetropolisFritz Lang1927

Last edited:
Likes DjPravu, DennisN and pinball1970
In no particular order:

1. Brazil
  2. Meaning of Life/Life of Brian (I choose to group these together, give them each a half point)
  3. Indiana Jones I
  4. Dr. Strangelove
  5. Blade Runner I
  6. Matewan (union organizers in 1920 W. Virginia): wikipedia
  7. Back to the Future
  8. 2001/2010 (I choose to group these together, give them each a half point)
  9. Alien/Aliens (I choose to group these together, give them each a half point)
  10. Terminator 2
  11. The Thing (Carpenter)
  12. The People Under the Stairs (a realistically possible horror film)
  13. The Music Man (a really great musical)
  14. Stop Making Sense (Talking Heads music show)
  15. Kingdom of Heaven (a guy trying to be good in Jerusalem during the Crusades)
  16. Oh Brother Where Art Thou (funny story, great music)
  17. Pulp Fiction
  18. Empire of the Sun (cinematically superb IMHO, great symbolic use of an atom bomb)
  19. Young Frankenstien
  20. Casablanca

Likes DennisN, pinball1970, collinsmark and 1 other person
It was a problem for me to choose 20. After I made a list of 40, it took me quite a while to pick the top 20.

1. The illusionist (2006)
2. The Time Traveler’s Wife (2009)
3. Shakespeare in Love (1998)
4. The Age of Adaline (2015)
5. The Horses Mouth (1959)
6. Beat the Devil (1954)
7. Star Trek IV – The Voyage Home (1986)
8.The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
9. The Lion in Winter (1958)
10. The Thirteenth Floor (1999)
11. Source Code (2011)
12. Bull Durham (1988)
13. The Goodbye Girl (1977)
14. Personal Best (1986)
15. A Taxing Woman (1987)
16. Ladyhawke (1985)
17. The Princess Bride (1987)
18. When Harry Met Sally (1989)
19. Harold and Maude (1972)
20. The Thief of Baghdad (1940)

ADDED
I have had the thought for several days now that I left out a favorite I could not remember. Very early this mornng I remembered it. It is my number 1 favorite, so I have edited my list accordingly.

Last edited:
Likes DennisN, pinball1970, collinsmark and 1 other person
I had a loose list, then read all the below. I skipped the rules...

I will post in a few days when I am less influenced (forget..)

Likes Spinnor and DennisN
pinball1970 said:
I will post in a few days when I am less influenced (forget..)
I look forward to it. :smile:

Likes pinball1970
Hi all, and many thanks for all submitted nominations so far! (which I haven't read, though :oldwink:)

I was thinking about keeping this thread going for another week in order to receive more nominations from members if possible. My plan is to start the final poll sometime next weekend (9-10 november), after I have gone through all received nominations at that point. And regarding the final poll, I personally don't take it very seriously, for me it's just for fun! :smile:

So, if you are reading this and have not nominated any movies, I would appreciate if you do so here.

It's simple:

Just post twenty (20) of your all-time favorite movies in this thread. You don't have to rank them or anything.

Cheers!

Likes collinsmark
DennisN said:
I was thinking about keeping this thread going for another week in order to receive more nominations from members if possible.
The longer it's open the more movies I remember which I had not on my list. I could easily do a second one with another 20.

Likes DennisN, OmCheeto, BillTre and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
The longer it's open the more movies I remember which I had not on my list.
I was having that problem, so I skimmed through both the Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB top 100 films lists. That's how "The Grapes of Wrath" got on my list.
It does though bring up the problem of having to weed out the 20+ movies one would like to include.

Sorted by year of release.
  1. The Grapes of Wrath, 1940
  2. The African Queen, 1951
  3. To Kill a Mockingbird, 1962
  4. First Men in the Moon, 1964
  5. Dr. Strangelove, 1964
  6. Dr. Zhivago, 1965
  7. 2001, 1968
  8. Harold and Maude, 1971
  9. Being There, 1979
  10. Life of Brian, 1979
  11. Bladerunner, 1982
  12. Brazil, 1985
  13. Mindwalk, 1990
  14. Total Recall, 1990
  15. Fargo, 1996
  16. Contact, 1997
  17. Men in Black, 1997
  18. The Fifth Element, 1997
  19. Dogma, 1999
  20. Idiocracy, 2006

Weird that only one movie was made within the last 20 years. I guess Greg was right.

----------
2019.11.02.1500 edit: replaced "The Sixth Sense, 1999" with "Dogma, 1999"
2019.11.09.2100 edit: replaced "The Shining, 1980" with "First Men in the Moon, 1965"

Last edited:
Likes DennisN and collinsmark
That was hard. Skipping through without reading all the other selections.
I don't think these are in strict order, my fallible memory jumped around a bit with this.

1.Jaws
2.12 Angry men
3. Contact
4. On the water front
5. Die Hard
6. The Terminator
7. Million Dollar Baby
8. Alien
9. It could happen to you
10. The rock
11. Cat on a hot tin roof
12. Phenomen
13. The Omen
14. The God father part one
15. The birds
16. The apartment
17. The day after tomorrow
18. Cool hand Luke
19. Oceans 11 (remake Brad Pitt)
20. 7

As per @fresh_42 I could do another 20 right now ( I did not cheat, I just remember the comment when I scrolled through first, then read the rules)

Likes DennisN and Spinnor
fresh_42 said:
The longer it's open the more movies I remember which I had not on my list. I could easily do a second one with another 20.
:smile: I understand. Shortly after I started the thread I wrote my own favorites list. I found it quite difficult to narrow it down to 20, so I decided to force myself to select 5 dramas, 5 thrillers, 5 science fiction and 5 others (e.g. comedies, animated). The reason it became those genres was when I checked all the titles in my own movie library, I found out that most of my favorite movies were dramas, thrillers or science fiction.

@fresh_42 , by the way, if you like to change your nominations, feel free to do so.

Edit: And the same goes for everybody else too, of course! If you can't edit your post, just post a new nomination post here in the thread and write e.g. "Updated nominations:" first in the post.

Last edited:
Reading through now it's a matter of which film would I replace
DennisN said:
:smile: I understand. Shortly after I started the thread I wrote my own favorites list. I found it quite difficult to narrow it down to 20, so I decided to force myself to select 5 dramas, 5 thrillers, 5 science fiction and 5 others (e.g. comedies, animated). The reason it became those genres was when I checked all the titles in my own movie library, I found out that most of my favorite movies were dramas, thrillers or science fiction.

@fresh_42 , by the way, if you like to change your nominations, feel free to do so.

Edit: And the same goes for everybody else too, of course! If you can't edit your post, just post a new nomination post here in the thread and write e.g. "Updated nominations:" first in the post.
It is hard reading back because you spot one you want to include then try and decide which of your own you can live with ditching.

DennisN said:

I need to add some
Marathon man
The Rain man
One flew over the cook coo's nest
Planet of the Apes Heston
King Kong 1930s
Kill Bill
Pulp fiction
Independence Day

Which do I drop?

Top 30 films has a ring to it...or 50??

pinball1970 said:
It is hard reading back because you spot one you want to include then try and decide which of your own you can live with ditching.
It's the burden of being a reviewer 😄 .

DennisN said:
No, that isn't the point. It is more like: oops I forgot "Sin City (both)" (as I watched it last night on TV), "Lucky Number Slevin" as I saw "7" on @pinball1970's list, "Final Destination (Series)" remembered by Halloween, "Oh Brother, We Art Thou" while searching for another title on imdb, and so on. I can't say one of the movies on my list is worse than those. They just belonged on the list, too. And the ones I mentioned here are only a few examples of many.
Plus there is an entire list of what a girlfriend of mine used to call "Mamma Movies". Movies which are not especially good, but pleases the soul when down, e.g. movies like "One Fine Day" or some of the many Christmas Movies.

fresh_42 said:
or some of the many Christmas Movies.
Damn. I forgot Xmas Story and Home Alone.

• Haha
Likes collinsmark and OmCheeto
Airplane!
One if the funniest films of all time, along with Young Frankenstein, Foul Play and (don;t judge me) Porky's.

Likes DennisN, collinsmark and OmCheeto
I always find distinctly lacking Internet things where people are invited to list their preferences with just lists, no motivations or arguments. Anyway I'll play by the rules and just add minimal notes for some films that are probably not very widely known, and grouped a bit for genre.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I no doubt I confirm this. My list is all fairly old classics (14/20 b&w) – for best films I think that's the way it is! Mnyah mnyah. Since we can alter our choices, maybe some of them will jog memories of what you forgot and cause some changes?Smiles of a Summer's Night
Jules and Jim

From Here to Eternity

The Running Jumping Standing Still Film (Groundbreaking humour)

Seven Samurai
Red Beard (Kurosawa) (Think this is right. More even than the telling human stories I was struck by the (b&w) photographic framings by this Hokusai of our times)
The Master of Tea (Again for the magnificent photography, colours)

Kim
A Passage to India

The Forbidden Planet
When Worlds Collide (Much less well known than Forbidden Planet but IMHO as good or better.)

All the King's Men
The Third Man. (Two films again notable for photography)
The Man who Wasn't There

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

Hamlet (1948 Olivier)
Alexander Nevsky

Nosferatu (1922) (never surpassed nor equalled in its genre IMO)

La Grande Illusion
Le Caporal Épinglé
La Règle du Jeu

Last edited:
Likes DennisN
You know what would be cool? A Venn diagram of all our choices.
There are several contributors here with which I would have virtually zero overlap.

Or maybe some other visualization that's more scalable than a Venn (which will get pretty hairy after about 6 people.)

1572749093587.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Klystron, WWGD, PeroK and 2 others
There are also movies which are not on my list, but on someone else's, only because I didn't think of them or they didn't make it into the 20, e.g. Casablanca. It would have made more sense to allow lists of arbitrary lengths, or likewise different categories, and then see how many people voted for them. The restriction to 20 is not very meaningful. How could anyone decide whether Casablanca or MIB is the better film? Makes no sense.

Likes Klystron
fresh_42 said:
It would have made more sense to allow lists of arbitrary lengths
The fixed length prevents people from simply posting everything they like. Narrowing your faves to only 20 forces you to think about what ones merely belong and what ones absolutely must be there, making for a better
  • 'signal-to-noise ratio' or
  • 'survival of the fittest' or
  • 'if I can only have 20 on my deserted island'
list of our individual all-time classics.
fresh_42 said:
How could anyone decide whether Casablanca or MIB is the better film?
'better' is not the ask. The ask is simply '20 in any order you see fit'.

So don't choose between Casablanca and MIB. Put them both on - and bump the bottom one off your list.

In the end, there can only be one.
or maybe twenty.Alternative way to show relationships:
  • two lists (movies and list makers)
  • group songs by type (SciFi, Mystery, Comedy, Classic, etc.)
  • connect the list makers with their selections via lines

DaveC426913 said:
The fixed length prevents people from simply posting everything they like. Narrowing your faves to only 20 forces you to think about what ones merely belong and what ones absolutely must be there, making for a better
  • 'signal-to-noise ratio' or
  • 'survival of the fittest' or
  • 'if I can only have 20 on my deserted island'
list of our individual all-time classics.
'better' is not the ask. The ask is simply '20 in any order you see fit'.

So don't choose between Casablanca and MIB. Put them both on - and bump the bottom one off your list.
Yes desert island came into it for me.
Then decades, actors, genres and films that I happen to recall at the time.
Casablanca top trumps all of films but I did not think of it.
My poor memory should not be a criterion.
ALL films need to be reviewed. ALL of them.
@DaveC426913
Over to you.
Casablanca is a better film than kill Bill and deserves to in the top 20 that humanity takes to the next generation.
Yes?
Do we need some scoring system?

pinball1970 said:
Yes desert island came into it for me.
Then decades, actors, genres and films that I happen to recall at the time.
Casablanca top trumps all of films but I did not think of it.
My poor memory should not be a criterion.
ALL films need to be reviewed. ALL of them.
@DaveC426913
Over to you.
Casablanca is a better film than kill Bill and deserves to in the top 20 that humanity takes to the next generation.
Yes?
Do we need some scoring system?
No. This is a emotional thing. First 20 has value.

epenguin said:
I always find distinctly lacking Internet things where people are invited to list their preferences with just lists, no motivations or arguments. Anyway I'll play by the rules and just add minimal notes for some films that are probably not very widely known, and grouped a bit for genre.
That's welcome, no problem. The reason I asked for lists of favorite movies was because my plan was to put all nominations into an excel sheet and then sort them alphabetically in order to more easily count the number of nominations for each movie.

(note: I read epenguin's post without reading the nominations)

DaveC426913 said:
You know what would be cool? A Venn diagram of all our choices.
There are several contributors here with which I would have virtually zero overlap.

Or maybe some other visualization that's more scalable than a Venn (which will get pretty hairy after about 6 people.)
That is a great idea! I'll see what I can do after all nominations have been posted. Maybe I'll go 3D with the Venn diagram idea 😁.

Edit: I decided to post my list here a while ago even though I said I would be the last to do so, and then I changed my mind and deleted the post. I will post my nominations last :smile:.

Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
Yes?
So, you highlight another nuance of this topic:

The ask was actually "favorite" - not "better" and not "carried to the next generation".

Those are perfectly good criteria - they're just not my criteria.

For me, it's easy how I define it.

If
- it comes on TV spontaneously, and
- I have watch just this scene, because it's the best, and
- OK, this scene too, and
- just this next one too, and
- suddenly the end credits are rolling

then it's on my favorite list.

There are about 20 movies I cannot flip past.

Likes OmCheeto
DaveC426913 said:
about 20 movies I cannot flip past.
Only twenty?