Should I Pursue a Dual Ph.D in Math and Physics?

In summary, a Ph.D in Math or Physics is a doctoral degree that involves advanced study and research in the fields of mathematics or physics. It typically takes 4-6 years to complete and requires coursework, comprehensive exams, and a research dissertation. It also requires a strong background in these subjects, typically obtained through a Bachelor's and Master's degree in a related field. Graduates with a Ph.D in Math or Physics can pursue various careers in research, data science, finance, engineering, or teaching. To prepare for a Ph.D in Math or Physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as good critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Research experience and knowledge of current research in your field can also
flyingpig
So a lot of people have been telling me that it's impossible or pointless to get two Ph.Ds in both fields.

Which is better?

I like both, if I do Theoretical Physics, would I get both?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Define better. What do you want to do?

Impossible, no. Pointless, yes. Which is better? That's completely up to you. I never even considered doing math; it was always physics (and just for the astrophysics part). What are you more interested in and what do you want to do with it?

1. What is a Ph.D in Math or Physics?

A Ph.D in Math or Physics is a doctoral degree that involves advanced study and research in the fields of mathematics or physics. It is the highest level of education one can achieve in these fields and typically takes 4-6 years to complete.

2. What are the requirements for a Ph.D in Math or Physics?

The requirements for a Ph.D in Math or Physics vary depending on the university and program, but generally include coursework, comprehensive exams, and a research dissertation. Some programs may also require teaching or other forms of academic service.

3. Can I get a Ph.D in Math or Physics without a background in these subjects?

No, a Ph.D in Math or Physics typically requires a strong foundation in these subjects. Most programs will require applicants to have completed a Bachelor's and Master's degree in a related field, with coursework in advanced mathematics and physics.

4. What career opportunities are available with a Ph.D in Math or Physics?

A Ph.D in Math or Physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research positions in academia, government, or industry. Graduates may also pursue careers in data science, finance, engineering, or teaching at the university level.

5. How can I prepare for a Ph.D in Math or Physics?

To prepare for a Ph.D in Math or Physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as good critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It can also be helpful to gain research experience and to familiarize yourself with the current research in your field of interest.