PH - really basic, I know, but I'm tired

• Thread starter CasanovaFrankenstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the pH of a solution with 10g of sodium carbonate and 10g of sodium bicarbonate dissolved in enough water to make 0.25 mL of solution is 10.71.
CasanovaFrankenstein
pH -- really basic, I know, but I'm tired

Hi Chem masters out there,

Anyone want to help me with this one?

What is the pH of a solution with 10 g of sodium carbonate and 10 g of sodium bicaronate dissolved in enough water to make 0.25 mL of solution?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sodium Carbonate = [tex]Na_2CO_3[/tex]
Sodium Bicarbonate = [tex]NaHCO_3[/tex]

0.25 mL = 0.0025L

You can ignore the Na+ ion because it's neutral, and the sodium bicarbonate releases the H proton into solution whih results in the hydronium ion being formed, therefore the concentration of the sodium bicarbonate will be equal to the concentration of the H+ ion.

Concentration of sodium bicarbonate:
10g
molar mass = 84.01 g/mol
to get moles, take grams and divide it by molar mass:
moles of sodium bicarbonate:
[tex] 1.2 times 10^{-1} [/tex]

divide the moles over litres of solution to get concentration:

47.6 M? okay that can't be right =/

Then you're supposed to -log(x) that to get the pH.
In case of a base, get the pOH then 14 - pOH to get pH.
I think I did something wrong. Maybe my chemical formula is wrong? I think it might form OH- actually =(

I'm sorry!

Last edited:
Borek said:
This is the buffer solution, so the final volume doesn't count. Calculate number of moles of both compounds and put them into HH equation.

pKa2 for carbonic acid is 10.25.

Borek
--
*gasps*
I'm stupid =(

just in case "HH" is the henderson hasselbach equation.

Note that 10g represents the whole ionic compound, you'll need to first find the molar mass of each compound, then convert 10g to moles. Then you'll need to use the stoichiometric ratio (which may be 1:1, you should figure it out), to find the moles of each anionic component and divide each value by the volume. Remember to use the correct units.

Thanks Guys! That was fast and easy

Artermis said:
Sodium Carbonate = [tex]Na_2CO_3[/tex]
Sodium Bicarbonate = [tex]NaHCO_3[/tex]

0.25 mL = 0.0025L

You can ignore the Na+ ion because it's neutral, and the sodium bicarbonate releases the H proton into solution whih results in the hydronium ion being formed, therefore the concentration of the sodium bicarbonate will be equal to the concentration of the H+ ion.

Concentration of sodium bicarbonate:
10g
molar mass = 84.01 g/mol
to get moles, take grams and divide it by molar mass:
moles of sodium bicarbonate:
[tex] 1.2 times 10^{-1} [/tex]

divide the moles over litres of solution to get concentration:

47.6 M? okay that can't be right =/

Then you're supposed to -log(x) that to get the pH.
In case of a base, get the pOH then 14 - pOH to get pH.
I think I did something wrong. Maybe my chemical formula is wrong? I think it might form OH- actually =(

I'm sorry!

I like the way you solved it lol, you have to incorporate the weakacid equilibrium constant..
HCO3- => H+ + CO3^2- with Ka2 of 1.5 x 10^-11
you have (10.g)/(84.0g/mol NaHCO3) = .12mol HCO3-
and have (10.g)/(106.0g/mol Na2CO3) = .094mol CO3^2-
.12mol HCO3- / .00025L = 480M
.094mol CO3^2- / .00025L = 376M
Using Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.. pH = pKa + log( [CO3^2-]/[HCO3-] )
you get.. pH = -log(1.5E-11) +log(376M/480M) assuming 376+x/480-x ~= 376/480.
so you will get: pH = 10.82 - .106 = 10.71 thus pH=10.71
if you don't understand something i did, tell me :p

What is pH and why is it important?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is important because it affects the properties and behavior of substances, including their reactivity, solubility, and biological interactions.

How is pH measured?

pH is typically measured using a pH meter or pH paper. A pH meter works by measuring the electrical potential difference between a special glass electrode and a reference electrode, while pH paper changes color depending on the acidity or basicity of the solution it is dipped in.

What is the pH scale?

The pH scale is a numerical scale from 0 to 14 that indicates the acidity or basicity of a solution. A pH of 7 is considered neutral, while values below 7 are acidic and values above 7 are basic.

What factors can affect pH?

Several factors can affect pH, including the presence of acids or bases, temperature, and the concentration of ions in the solution. Additionally, biological processes such as respiration and photosynthesis can also affect pH.

Why is it important to maintain a specific pH level?

Maintaining a specific pH level is important for various reasons. For example, in the human body, the pH of blood must remain within a narrow range for proper functioning of enzymes and other biological processes. In industrial processes, maintaining a specific pH can help control chemical reactions and ensure optimal conditions for production.