Should I Pursue a PhD in Applied Mathematics with My Background?

In summary: Many US universities do not require the GRE math Subject Test for admission into a mathematics PhD program. However, it is still important to have a strong background in mathematics, since most applied math PhD programs require a strong background in mathematics.
majesticman
Hi guys...
Just wanted to clarify a few doubts as to what i should do with myself in the future.

I am a double major in Electrical n Computer system engg (ECSE) and Econometrics (Actuarial science) in Australia.
I really enjoy maths especially math that we can apply to the real world to solve problems etc.

I have been considering of pursuing a Phd in applied math in US after i graduate <hopefully in a good univ.>.

My main questions are weather i would be allowed it be in a program in applied math when i have the background that i have. I mean that do they prefer math major for their grad program than people from my background.

I have research experience as i am involved in UROP (Undergrad Research opportunity prog) in a project regrading computational biology. I have not got a publication yet but if all goes well then i should have one in the near future.

How critical will that publication be as compared to my GRE socres?

Any constructive inputs are welcomed

Physics news on Phys.org
any views ppl?

majesticman said:
I mean that do they prefer math major for their grad program than people from my background.

Of course someone with a maths degree will be favoured over you, since they have all the prerequisite knowledge.

How critical will that publication be as compared to my GRE socres?

I'd say, in this case, that your subject GRE will be crucial, since you need to show them that you have a firm understanding of background maths.

cristo said:
Of course someone with a maths degree will be favoured over you, since they have all the prerequisite knowledge.

I'd say, in this case, that your subject GRE will be crucial, since you need to show them that you have a firm understanding of background maths.

This is not true, even though it sounds logical.

In actual applied math programs (not just subsets of the math program) it is unusual to require the GRE math subject test. They are often looking for people with different backgrounds. I would estimate fully 3/5 of applied math phds got their undergrad in a different field (such as physics or EE). This is especially true if the background ties into the application you want to go into. This varies by program, so look around (a good start is the USNews applied math program rankings), and check the websites for specific details. Some are in the old mold of accepting only solid math majors, but these are getting few and far between.

maze said:
In actual applied math programs (not just subsets of the math program)...

What do you mean by an "actual applied mathematics" course?

In order to be applied onto a mathematics phd program, you have to show ability in mathematics. If you don't have a degree in mathematics, then you'd better have taken a fair number of upper level mathematics courses.

Perhaps things are done differently in UK...

1. What is a PhD in applied mathematics?

A PhD in applied mathematics is an advanced degree that focuses on the application of mathematical principles and techniques to real-world problems. It combines theoretical knowledge with practical skills to solve complex problems in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science.

2. What are the requirements for a PhD in applied mathematics?

The requirements for a PhD in applied mathematics vary depending on the university and program, but typically include coursework, comprehensive exams, a research proposal, and a dissertation. Some programs may also require teaching or research assistantships, as well as other professional development activities.

3. What career opportunities are available with a PhD in applied mathematics?

Individuals with a PhD in applied mathematics have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, academia, government, and industry. They may work as mathematicians, statisticians, data scientists, operations researchers, or in other related roles that require advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in applied mathematics?

The length of a PhD program in applied mathematics can vary, but it typically takes 4-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing. The exact timeline may also depend on factors such as the student's research topic, progress, and any teaching or research assistantships.

5. What skills are needed to succeed in a PhD in applied mathematics?

To succeed in a PhD in applied mathematics, individuals need a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. They also need excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively. Additionally, proficiency in programming languages and data analysis tools is becoming increasingly important in this field.