PHD in biomedical engineering? Or just MAsc

In summary, the speaker is currently in their 5th year of engineering science and has secured a spot in grad school at their same school with a shorter completion time. Their research is focused on cardiac anatomy and biomedical imaging, building on their undergraduate thesis. They are considering pursuing a PhD in a different area of biomedical, possibly at another school such as McGill or UNB, or even in France. They express uncertainty about this decision and ask for others' experiences with obtaining a PhD or stopping at a master's degree. The conversation also mentions the limited job opportunities for biomed graduates and a suggestion from a family member to go for the PhD if the speaker enjoys research.
Goalie_Ca
'm right now in my 5th year of engineering science (electrical and computer) and I'm pretty much lined up a spot in grad school at my same school with a shorter than average completion time for it. The research is in cardiac anatomy and biomedical imaging. I've been doing some towards my ugrad thesis and I'll pretty much just take it to the next level for the masters. That much i know.

The question after that remains should I go on for a PHD (Def at another school in another area of biomedical probably mcgill or unb or maybe in france). I know its all up to me but I have no idea really. I know exactly what's involved in it. Mostly I'm just curious as to why any of you chose to get it or chose to stop at a masters and how that all worked out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know I am not answering your question but just a comment; I am sure you are aware there are not many jobs for biomed graduates.

*****my brother-in-law has master's in biomed eng and he wouldn't suggest biomed to anyone.

Go for the Dr. you will have more fun doing research =).

Thats just my 2 cents. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Forget about a "career plan".

If you enjoy the reseaarch, do the PhD :smile:

What is a PHD in biomedical engineering?

A PHD in biomedical engineering is a doctoral degree that focuses on the intersection of engineering principles with the fields of biology and medicine. It involves advanced research and coursework in areas such as biomaterials, medical imaging, and biomechanics.

What are the requirements for a PHD in biomedical engineering?

The requirements for a PHD in biomedical engineering may vary depending on the university and program. Generally, applicants must have a bachelor's or master's degree in a related field, such as engineering or biology, and submit transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Additionally, they may need to pass a qualifying exam and complete a thesis or dissertation.

What career opportunities are available with a PHD in biomedical engineering?

Graduates with a PHD in biomedical engineering can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, and medical device manufacturing. They may work as researchers, professors, or engineers, developing new medical technologies or conducting research to improve healthcare outcomes.

How long does it take to complete a PHD in biomedical engineering?

The length of a PHD in biomedical engineering program can vary, but it typically takes 4-6 years of full-time study. This may also depend on factors such as the student's research topic and progress, as well as the requirements of the specific program.

What is the difference between a PHD and a MAsc in biomedical engineering?

A PHD in biomedical engineering is a research-focused degree that prepares students for careers in academia or advanced research positions. A MAsc, or Master of Applied Science, is a professional degree that focuses on practical applications and prepares students for careers in industry. The MAsc typically takes 2-3 years to complete, while a PHD takes longer and involves a more in-depth research project or dissertation.