PhD in Physics at UCI vs Materials Science and Engineering UCR

In summary: Shawn Strausser, you have Enough said.In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's options for graduate programs in physics at UC Irvine and UC Riverside. The speaker has a 2-year TA offer at UC Irvine for physics, but is also considering the MSE fellowship at UC Riverside. Both programs have their advantages, with UC Irvine offering a 10-week summer research program and a 6-7 year degree time, while UC Riverside has more applied classes and a 5-year degree time. The speaker is leaning towards UC Irvine, but is hesitant due to some negative experiences with professors and the competitive nature of the program. They are also considering their plans after graduation, with a potential interest in pursuing post-docs before deciding between academia and industry

UCI Physics VS UCR Materials Science & Engineering

• UC Irvine Physics

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UC Riverside MSE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
greenmike
I have a 2 year TA offer at UC Irvine for physics (~$18k) where I would focus on Condensed Matter experiment or the chemicals and materials physics program(this program is easier and offers a 10 week summer research program before grad school begins). Degree time is usually 6-7 years.

The MSE offer at UC Riverside is a fellowship for $15k for the first year, no working. One year TA is required for the degree and after the first year funding is provided by TA/RA. The classes at UCR are more applied and sound more useful for a career in research or industry. Degree time 5 years.

Irvine was originally my top choice school, but after meeting a few profs, and not finding a great fit/project I was concerned. Though I admit I liked the Irvine campus a bit more than UCR, the profs at UCR seemed nicer and more interested in my research experience (nanoparticle synthesis and characterization).

I have always been an experimentalist at heart and love both physics and engineering. The classes at riverside seem more interesting to me than the standard physics curriculum, and the fellowship is a nice bonus...but Irvine was my dream school...the only reasons I hesitate going to UCI are a few bad meetings with profs, and the extremely competitive classmates (I was originally waitlisted).

what should i do?
UCI Physics CM/ChamP? (TA 18k)
UCR MSE (fellowship 15k)

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your plans after graduation? MSE is a highly sought after major in industry, but it is tough to make a living with a Physics PhD (many people do it of course, it's just harder).

I think after graduation I would like to do a few post docs before deciding between research in academia and work in industry. I would love to be a professor with my own lab, but these positions are extremely competitive so most likely I will end up in industry.

from the Irvine ChaMP website
"Although there is essentially zero unemployment among physical science graduates, only a small fraction of PhDs become academic investigators. A full 95 percent of PhDs take positions in non- academic sectors, primarily in industry."

Well, UCR isn't as famous as UCI but they're both good schools and both seem to be able to get you where you want to go. If it were me, I would lean towards UCI. Irvine is a nicer place to live for the next 5 or 6 years as well.

If you go to IRVINE you have to deal with Shawn Strausser... enough said.

*get to deal with

1. What is the main difference between a PhD in Physics at UCI and Materials Science and Engineering at UCR?

The main difference between these two programs is the focus of study. A PhD in Physics at UCI will primarily involve the study of fundamental physical principles and theories, while Materials Science and Engineering at UCR will have a more applied focus, studying the properties and applications of various materials.

2. Which program is more research-oriented?

Both programs have a strong emphasis on research, but the approach may differ. A PhD in Physics at UCI may involve more theoretical and computational research, while Materials Science and Engineering at UCR may have a greater emphasis on experimental research and practical applications.

3. Is there a difference in the faculty and resources available for these programs?

Both UCI and UCR have highly qualified faculty and resources for their respective programs. However, UCI may have a larger and more diverse faculty and research facilities due to its larger size and focus on various areas of physics, while UCR may have a more specialized faculty and resources specifically for materials science and engineering.

4. Can students in these programs collaborate or take courses at the other university?

There may be opportunities for collaboration and cross-registration between the two universities, as they are both part of the larger University of California system. However, this would depend on the individual policies and agreements between the two departments.

5. Which program has better job prospects after graduation?

Both programs can lead to various career paths, including research positions in academia or industry. It ultimately depends on the student's interests, skills, and the job market at the time of graduation. However, a PhD in Physics from UCI may open up more opportunities in fields such as theoretical physics, while a degree in Materials Science and Engineering from UCR may be advantageous for careers in material design and development.