Considering a PhD in Laser Physics Overseas? Any Recommendations?

In summary, a student currently studying laser physics is interested in pursuing a PhD in the same field overseas. They have looked into potential places such as the Institute of Optics in Rochester, NY and somewhere in Asia, particularly Japan. They are seeking personal knowledge or advice on these two places for obtaining a solid education and experiencing a new culture. They have access to contacts in Rochester but are also drawn to the idea of studying in Asia.
RsC
Hey everyone!

Im currently an MSc student in laser physics. My work focuses on high power thulium fibre lasers. I would like to do my PhD overseas, in the same field (not necessaily a similar topic). So I have browsed around earlier rather than later and doing my PhD overseas is definitely appealing. Potential places which so far appeal to me, are the institute of optics in Rochester, NY or some where in Asia (think Japan).

Does anyone have any personal knowledge regarding these two places with regard to doing graduate education there? I am not interested in getting a shiny name on my CV, I want a place where I can get a solid education. Where I study now is also great, but I've been here since undergrad, some variety would be good!

R

Physics news on Phys.org
ochester has a great reputation and I do have access to some contacts there, so I am leaning towards that. On the other hand, I'm interested in Asia and I have been there only once (in Japan) and I felt that the culture would be a great place to learn and grow.Any help or advice would be much appreciated!Thanks!

FAQ: Considering a PhD in Laser Physics Overseas? Any Recommendations?

1. What is laser physics?

Laser physics is the study of the properties and applications of lasers, which are devices that emit intense, coherent beams of light. It involves understanding the principles of light and its interactions with matter, as well as the design and construction of lasers for various purposes.

2. What is the difference between laser physics and optics?

Laser physics is a subfield of optics, which is the study of light and its behavior. Optics encompasses a broader range of topics, including the properties of light, its generation and detection, and its interaction with materials. Laser physics specifically focuses on the principles and applications of lasers.

3. What types of research are done in PhD laser physics programs?

PhD laser physics programs typically involve research in areas such as laser design and construction, laser-matter interactions, nonlinear optics, and laser spectroscopy. Students may also have the opportunity to work on projects related to laser applications in fields such as medicine, communications, and materials science.

4. What career opportunities are available with a PhD in laser physics?

Graduates with a PhD in laser physics can pursue careers in a variety of fields, including academia, industry, and government research labs. They may work as laser physicists, optical engineers, or research scientists, and can find employment in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and healthcare.

5. What skills are important for success in a PhD laser physics program?

Some important skills for success in a PhD laser physics program include a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, laboratory skills, and the ability to design and conduct experiments. Additionally, good communication and collaboration skills are important for working in a research team and presenting research findings.

Back