Phd without the need of a master degree

Rolen
Gold Member
Do some of you got a Phd without a Master?
I have a professor that only have a phd and 3 posdoc. How this works and how hard it is? And, if you know, what kind of institute or which contry have this kind of program?

Answers and Replies

Most physics graduate programs in the US go from B.S. to PhD program. They may or may not give you a master degree along the way.

A terminal master's degree (one that is not gotten along the way to a PhD) is generally set up to be practical and give you industry or employment skills. It does not focus on research like a PhD does. A PhD is about doing research and it need not have anything to do with industry or employment skills.

eri
PhD programs in the US will admit you with a bachelors degree. The first few years of the program are spent taking the masters coursework, and often doing a masters thesis and/or qualifying exam, before proceeding to the PhD. At this point, some schools grant a masters degree, and some don't. You can't skip the masters work, but that doesn't mean you get a masters degree. Once you earn a PhD, it doesn't matter. If you drop out early, it sucks.

jtbell
Mentor
When I was in grad school (U of Michigan) I picked up a M.S. while I was in the Ph.D. program, simply by filing an application and paying a small fee after I had a certain number of hours of graduate-level coursework. That was 35 years ago, maybe it's different now.

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
In Canada, for example admission to MSc programs from BSc programs is much more common and the MSc can be a much more research-oriented degree compared to various course-based MSc programs.

Once admitted, students can either defend the MSc or apply for direct admission into the PhD program after about a year as an MSc candidate. Usually it's only the stronger candidates who jump right into the PhD.

In Asia If you have at least 8 Credit in courses then you directly go for PhD.otherway you need to do Masters.

When I was in grad school (U of Michigan) I picked up a M.S. while I was in the Ph.D. program, simply by filing an application and paying a small fee after I had a certain number of hours of graduate-level coursework. That was 35 years ago, maybe it's different now.
That is how my university works today.