Philosophy publication and graduate admission in mathematics

In summary: Having published work in a professional journal can definitely give you an advantage when applying to a PhD program in mathematics.
To give a bit of my background, I am a junior double majoring in mathematics and philosophy aiming for a Ph.D. in pure mathematics. Recently, I wrote a paper for a philosophy class that was extremely well-received by my professor, so much that he encouraged me to submit it for possible publication in a professional philosophy journal. In short, my paper critiques an interpretation of Descartes's Meditations by a prominent philosopher made several years back. My work is an analytic (as opposed to continental) philosophy paper, meaning that it involves the application of formal logic. (For example, an argument made by the philosopher I critiqued requires a certain biconditional statement, but I argued that he did not have sufficient evidence to support one of the conditionals.) However, the subject matter of the paper is largely irrelevant to mathematics, my intended field of study in graduate school.

So, my question is: would having a paper published in a professional journal yet unrelated to mathematics be of nontrivial benefit to my chances of admission to a Ph.D. program in pure mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
We can't look in the minds of an admission comity, so we can't answer that question.

I can only say that if I were in the comity, then it would have no effect what-so-ever.

If your publication related to mathematics, it can give you great advantage. Yet your publication will helpful for admission to a Ph.D. program in pure mathematics? Because for PhD programmer publication is most essential.

micromass said:
We can't look in the minds of an admission comity, so we can't answer that question.

I can only say that if I were in the comity, then it would have no effect what-so-ever.

Thank you for your response, micromass. I totally understand that no one here can look into the minds of an admission committee; I was simply hoping that perhaps math faculty or graduate students here who have had interacted with admission committee members can at least offer me some insight into the matter.

tofayelbd said:
If your publication related to mathematics, it can give you great advantage. Yet your publication will helpful for admission to a Ph.D. program in pure mathematics? Because for PhD programmer publication is most essential.

Sorry, but I'm not sure if I understand your response. What do you mean by "programmer publication"?

764527 said:
Thank you for your response, micromass. I totally understand that no one here can look into the minds of an admission committee; I was simply hoping that perhaps math faculty or graduate students here who have had interacted with admission committee members can at least offer me some insight into the matter.

Sorry, but I'm not sure if I understand your response. What do you mean by "programmer publication"?

Sorry, I want to say here, "for PhD program publication is most essential".

I think it depends on who is looking. Some people will find it pretty impressive other will not really care. So on the whole its a plus.

deluks917 said:
I think it depends on who is looking. Some people will find it pretty impressive other will not really care. So on the whole its a plus.

Yes, I absolutely agree with you that on the whole its a plus.

1. What role does philosophy play in mathematics research and publication?

Philosophy plays a crucial role in mathematics research and publication by providing a framework for understanding the fundamental principles and concepts in mathematics. It helps mathematicians to analyze and evaluate their ideas and arguments, leading to more rigorous and logical research and publication.

2. How can philosophy improve my chances of getting into a graduate program in mathematics?

Studying philosophy can improve your chances of getting into a graduate program in mathematics by demonstrating your critical thinking skills and ability to analyze complex problems. Philosophical training can also help you develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications, making you a more competitive candidate for graduate admission.

3. Are there specific areas of philosophy that are more relevant to mathematics research and publication?

There are several areas of philosophy that are particularly relevant to mathematics research and publication, including logic, epistemology, and the philosophy of mathematics. These areas can help mathematicians develop a deeper understanding of the foundations of mathematics and the nature of mathematical knowledge, which can inform their research and publication.

4. Can studying philosophy benefit my career in mathematics beyond graduate school?

Studying philosophy can benefit your career in mathematics beyond graduate school by improving your critical thinking and analytical skills, which are valuable in any field. Additionally, the philosophical perspective can provide a unique and valuable approach to solving mathematical problems and contributing to the field.

5. How can I incorporate philosophy into my mathematics research and publication?

There are several ways to incorporate philosophy into your mathematics research and publication, such as studying philosophy of mathematics literature, attending philosophy and mathematics conferences, and collaborating with philosophers on interdisciplinary projects. You can also apply philosophical principles and methods to analyze and evaluate your mathematical arguments and theories.