Phonetically accurately named theorems/results

• Thread starter greypilgrim
  • Start date
In summary, The Poynting vector, Low energy theorem, Schwarzschild radius, Heaviside step function, Killing field, l'Hôpital's rule, Hausdorff Spaces, and nominative determinism are phonetically accurate theorems/results in mathematics and physics. Examples of nominative misleadingisms and incontinence have also been observed in the scientific community.
greypilgrim
Hi,

I stumbled upon this:

The Poynting vector falls into a wonderful class of phonetically accurate theorems/results. Others are the Low energy theorem (named after S.Y. Low) dealing with low-energy photons, and the Schwarzschild radius of a black hole (kind of like a shield).

Any more come to mind?

Computer science news on Phys.org
:biggrin: Good idea!

Last edited:
How's about the Heaviside step function (named after Oliver Heaviside). Since the left side is at 0, as if on the ground, and the right side up at 1, it sort of seems lopsided.

Last edited:
The l'Hôpital's rule, always there to save the students from being stuck on a limit during exams.

WannabeNewton said:
Killing field: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_vector_field (kills symmetry directions).
Nice. I was thinking of that one (but for different reasons, such as I'm dying to read a straightforward and intuitive explanation of what it is). :smile:

fluidistic said:
The l'Hôpital's rule, always there to save the students from being stuck on a limit during exams.
That's my favorite! Stuck on a limit? L'Hôpital the poor sucker!

Hausdorff Spaces

Where points can be housed off from one another with open sets.

Ah yes, there's a whole lot of them if you search for "nominative determinism".

There's also a paper by Alpher, Bethe and Gamow, sometimes called the http://www.snolab.ca/public/JournalClub/michael1.pdf. Bethe did not contribute, but was added by Gamow just to make it sound right.

Similarly, Knox, Knox, Hoose, Zare published a paper on the Observation of the 0-fs pulse on April 1, 1990. Wayne Knox was the only one actually contributing to the (nonsensical, I guess?) paper.

Sometimes you get nominative misleadingisms as well. Before the web, I once spent a lot of time trying to make sense of a paper that used the term "Trench matrix" for something. Eventually it turned out to be a very uninteresting reference to another paper about nothing in particular, published by somebody called Trench. In fact, Trench's paper was so uninteresting that the paper I was originally reading didn't even include the reference to it. :cry:

Actually, the web probably wouldn't have helped. I just googled "trench matrix" and got lots of links about long black coats... :confused:

greypilgrim said:
ASimilarly, Knox, Knox, Hoose, Zare published a paper on the Observation of the 0-fs pulse on April 1, 1990. Wayne Knox was the only one actually contributing to the (nonsensical, I guess?) paper.

Makes me think of Cox-Zucker machine.

But we are getting off topic.

Which makes me think of the Turing Machine, named after Alan Turing. The name Turing sounds like touring, having implications of going round and round (and sometimes even backtracking, maybe), exploring, discovering.

Christoffel symbols are pretty awful...

jbunniii said:
Christoffel symbols are pretty awful...
Christ Offal? :rofl:

1. What are phonetically accurately named theorems/results?

Phonetically accurately named theorems/results refer to mathematical theorems or results that are named based on their phonetic pronunciation. This means that the name of the theorem or result is a word or phrase that sounds similar to the mathematical concept it represents.

2. Why are theorems/results sometimes named phonetically?

Theorems/results are sometimes named phonetically to make them easier to remember and pronounce. This can help students and researchers better understand and discuss the concept, as well as make it more accessible to non-native speakers.

3. Can you give an example of a phonetically accurately named theorem/result?

One example of a phonetically accurately named theorem is the Pythagorean theorem, which is named after the Greek mathematician Pythagoras and is pronounced "pi-thag-or-ee-an". Another example is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, which is named after mathematicians Augustin-Louis Cauchy and Hermann Schwarz and is pronounced "ko-shee-shvartz".

4. Is there a specific rule or guideline for naming theorems/results phonetically?

There is no specific rule or guideline for naming theorems/results phonetically. Some mathematicians may choose to use names that sound similar to the concept, while others may use names that have a personal or historical significance.

5. Are all theorems/results named phonetically?

No, not all theorems/results are named phonetically. Many theorems and results are named after the mathematician who first discovered or proved them, while others may be named after a key concept or property that they represent.