Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phonetically accurately named theorems/results

1. Dec 3, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I stumbled upon this:

Any more come to mind?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2013 #2
    :biggrin: Good idea!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  4. Dec 3, 2013 #3

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How's about the Heaviside step function (named after Oliver Heaviside). Since the left side is at 0, as if on the ground, and the right side up at 1, it sort of seems lopsided.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  5. Dec 3, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

6. Dec 3, 2013 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

The l'Hôpital's rule, always there to save the students from being stuck on a limit during exams.

7. Dec 3, 2013 #6

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nice. I was thinking of that one (but for different reasons, such as I'm dying to read a straightforward and intuitive explanation of what it is). :smile:

That's my favorite! Stuck on a limit? L'Hôpital the poor sucker!

8. Dec 6, 2013 #7
    Hausdorff Spaces

Where points can be housed off from one another with open sets.

9. Dec 6, 2013 #8

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

10. Dec 6, 2013 #9
    Ah yes, there's a whole lot of them if you search for "nominative determinism".

There's also a paper by Alpher, Bethe and Gamow, sometimes called the αβγ paper. Bethe did not contribute, but was added by Gamow just to make it sound right.

Similarly, Knox, Knox, Hoose, Zare published a paper on the Observation of the 0-fs pulse on April 1, 1990. Wayne Knox was the only one actually contributing to the (nonsensical, I guess?) paper.

11. Dec 6, 2013 #10

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sometimes you get nominative misleadingisms as well. Before the web, I once spent a lot of time trying to make sense of a paper that used the term "Trench matrix" for something. Eventually it turned out to be a very uninteresting reference to another paper about nothing in particular, published by somebody called Trench. In fact, Trench's paper was so uninteresting that the paper I was originally reading didn't even include the reference to it. :cry:

Actually, the web probably wouldn't have helped. I just googled "trench matrix" and got lots of links about long black coats.... :confused:

12. Dec 6, 2013 #11

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Makes me think of Cox-Zucker machine.

But we are getting off topic.

13. Dec 6, 2013 #12

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which makes me think of the Turing Machine, named after Alan Turing. The name Turing sounds like touring, having implications of going round and round (and sometimes even backtracking, maybe), exploring, discovering.

14. Dec 6, 2013 #13

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Christoffel symbols are pretty awful...

15. Dec 6, 2013 #14

strangerep

Science Advisor

Christ Offal??? :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook