Photo Threads: Judging Pictures & Appraising Comments

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of adding a feature to rate individual photos in a thread instead of just leaving comments. Some concerns are raised about the potential for abuse and impersonal nature of a rating system. The group ultimately decides against implementing this feature, and some members express frustration with other online platforms that allow for harmful and abusive content.
Borek
Mentor
I wonder... we have several photo therads. Whenever someone posts nice picture there comes several posts with "beautiful!", "Nice picture" and other appraising comments. While I have nothing against (I like to be appraised as anybody else) it soon becomes cumbersome - I have long run out of adjectives, I hate to repeat myself, if I am not posting apprising comments I feel wrong, when I am posting them I don't feel like I sound honest and convincing. However, if it will be possible to add some way judging the pictures - kind of poll, but not for the whole thread, but attached to individual picture in the thread - it could help to deal with the situation. It will be still possible to comment on extraordinary pictures, and I will not feel sorry that I am not commenting those "just very good".

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean a feature to rate a particular photo such that the rating would stay with the post? Would that be cumbersome with a post with multiple images?

turbo-1 said:
You mean a feature to rate a particular photo such that the rating would stay with the post?

Yes, something like that.

Would that be cumbersome with a post with multiple images?

It can be treated as rating for whole series in such case.

Could be something like that is already possible - although I don't know about vBulletin, some forums allow to rate separate posts as helpful/not helpful. Rating posts - on the scale 1-5 or something like that - is very similar. The idea is hardly revolutionary :smile:

Borek said:
Could be something like that is already possible - although I don't know about vBulletin, some forums allow to rate separate posts as helpful/not helpful. Rating posts - on the scale 1-5 or something like that - is very similar. The idea is hardly revolutionary :smile:
We discussed that and voted against it. This is how the SA & HH medals came about. What is to keep someone from giving themselves excellent ratings? Or crackpots giving each other high ratings? So we decided to award the individuals with consistently good posts, which meant only people that really knew what they were doing received recognition.

I was looking on Yahoo Answers at a question about colon cleansing and all these crackpots were raving about the benefits of cleaning out your colon every day and morons rating the crackpot posts as excellent. I'm waiting for Yahoo to get sued for allowing junk like that, harmful junk no less.

Of course photos are different, but unless the selections were "beautiful", "awesome", "love it", etc... I wouldn't want to give a number rating to a picture, it just seems too impersonal and doesn't let me express how the picture makes me feel.

One could always send a Private Message to offer praise for photos, or other posts for that matter. I'm glad we don't have a public rating system, my experience elsewhere is that it is easily abused.

p.s.:
Aurghhh, Evo don't get me started about Yahoo Answers.

Related to Photo Threads: Judging Pictures & Appraising Comments

1. What is the purpose of "Photo Threads: Judging Pictures & Appraising Comments"?

The purpose of "Photo Threads: Judging Pictures & Appraising Comments" is to provide a platform for photographers to share their work and receive constructive feedback and critiques from other members of the community. It also serves as a learning opportunity for photographers to improve their skills and techniques.

2. How do I participate in a photo thread?

To participate in a photo thread, simply post a photo in the designated thread and provide feedback on other photos posted by members. It is important to follow the rules and guidelines set by the thread creator, such as the type of photos accepted and the format for giving feedback.

3. What should I look for when judging a photo?

When judging a photo, there are a few key elements to consider. These include composition, lighting, technical quality, and overall impact or emotion conveyed by the photo. It is also important to take into account the photographer's intent or message they are trying to convey.

4. How should I give constructive criticism on a photo?

When giving constructive criticism on a photo, it is important to be respectful and specific. Point out what you like about the photo, as well as areas for improvement. Offer suggestions for how the photographer could enhance their photo, rather than just pointing out flaws. Remember to also consider the photographer's skill level and experience.

5. How can I use the feedback I receive on my photos to improve?

The feedback received on your photos can be used to improve your skills and techniques as a photographer. Take note of the constructive criticism given and consider how you can apply it to future photos. It can also be helpful to ask for clarification or further feedback on specific areas you want to improve on. Remember to also use the feedback as motivation to continue learning and growing as a photographer.