Photomanipulation and other digital arts thread

In summary, photomanipulation and other digital arts involve editing and manipulating photographs or digital images using software and techniques to create unique pieces of art. Commonly used software includes Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, and Corel PaintShop Pro. The ethical implications of photomanipulation are debated, but it can be used for commercial purposes with proper permissions and considerations. It is important to give credit to the original creators and to avoid creating offensive or misleading images.
qedprigmosyno
Just wondering can we start one up for those who are interested in photography and like to mess around with their photos?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay why not.

Until today I did not do any photo manipulation. Just used the tools in the standard programs, like Canons DPP and Picasa and such.

But I felt the need for using HDR techniques, so I started contemplating to buy a software package for that. However google is your friend and I downloaded a public domain program, gimp following a step by step instruction that I found in Dutch, which included the manual installation of a plug in. If anybody is interested I can translate that and assist.

Next you need three pix, from the scenery, identical albeit one over exposed and one underexposed. Many cameras have programs for that (AEB), including the canons.

So I put the camera on the tripod, took a corner in the living, including the window which gave way too much contrast and the AEB took three piX:

first the normal exposed pic. The problem should be clear, the window is strongly over exposed while the shadows lost most details.

1zgx8nm.jpg

The next shot is under exposed by two stops, resulting in only a correct exposure for the window

2l5r1k.jpg

and the final one is over exposed two stops, resulting in correctly exposed shadows only

34dsdmu.jpg

We load the three pix in the program, sprinkle some stardust and wave the magic wand, voila; the three pictures merged with all parts exposed correctly:

99mg4j.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, that's an amazing tool, Andre.

Thanks, Georgina, I'll play with it some more later.

Tried it today on a bit more interesting scenery

Again, the normal exposed pic:

2sae9et.jpg

after merging with an under and over exposed frame (not shown) we get this:

154hlwh.jpg

Interesting Andre!

Another trick I stumbled upon is depth of field enhancing. Especially when shooting macro the very shallow depth of field can be embarrashing like this:

2rp6yab.jpg

Body crisp, wings blurry.

The Depth of Field enhancing works with multiple pictures too, focussed in different planes also merged together. Obviously taking multiple pix requires an absolute static situation, so you'd have to work with static objects too e.g. dead insects. Not my style.

Anyway I found some info and programs for that, maybe I give it a try:

http://www.microscopy-analysis.com/files/jwiley_microscopy/2008_May_Piper.pdf
http://www.janrik.net/ptools/ExtendedFocusPano12/index.html
http://www.saphicon.com/extended-depth-field.htm
http://hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CZM/News.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are stunning photos, pictures merged with all parts exposed correctly. Good stuff!

1. What is photomanipulation and other digital arts?

Photomanipulation and other digital arts refer to the process of editing and manipulating photographs or other digital images using various software and techniques to create new and unique pieces of art.

2. What software is commonly used for photomanipulation and other digital arts?

Some of the most commonly used software for photomanipulation and other digital arts include Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, and Corel PaintShop Pro. These programs offer a wide range of tools and features for editing and manipulating images.

3. Is photomanipulation considered a form of cheating or unethical?

This is a debated topic in the art community. Some argue that photomanipulation takes away from the originality and authenticity of a photograph, while others argue that it is simply another form of art and self-expression. Ultimately, it is up to the viewer to decide.

4. Can photomanipulation be used for commercial purposes?

Yes, photomanipulation can be used for commercial purposes such as advertising, book covers, and album artwork. However, it is important to obtain proper licenses and permissions for any images used in the process to avoid copyright infringement.

5. Are there any ethical considerations to keep in mind when creating photomanipulations?

Yes, it is important to consider the source of any images used in the process and to give credit to the original creators. Additionally, it is important to avoid creating misleading or offensive images that could harm others.