Photon-Ghost Coupling: Quantum Lagrangian Density Analysis

• Thread starter astros
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coupling
In summary, a gauge which looks like d.A+A.A=0 is called a "background field gauge." It is used to calculate quantities which are invariant under the background field. The gauge is not physically significant and the ghosts have no physical significance.
astros
Hello; By using the gauge d.A+A.A=0 to find the quantum Lagrangian density, I found a term of Ghost-Photon coupling.does it have a physical significance? And why one does not find it in the gauge d.A=0? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the resuling term in the Lagr. density doesn't reduce itself to a 4-div or it's not s-exact term (perhaps modulo d) ?

astros said:
I found a term of Ghost-Photon coupling.does it have a physical significance?
No; It has a mathematical importance in that you will of course need to consider diagrams with ghosts in order to get the correct answer when you compute matrix elements. But the ghosts themselves are non-physical for the usual reasons, thus their "coupling" to any real particles is non-physical.

P.S. It should be obvious that your choice of gauge can have no physical significance and so too for a "coupling" which disappears upon a change of gauge.

Sorry to keep replying to this thread, but after further consideration it is not even clear to me that the choice d.A+A.A=0 is appropriate at all.

One might first be a little nervous about such a choice because it is non-linear. Then, when attempting to get rid of superflouous gauge degrees of freedom with the Fadeev-Popov proceedure I find that I cannot separate out these degrees of freedom. How exactly did you proceed in applying this gauge fixing proceedure, astro?

Hello,
I proceed as usual, I found L=c_bar(d.d+2.A.d)c (excuse for latex!) which is not independant and hence can not be absorbed in the coefficient of the generating fonctional! one have then diagrams 2photons-ghost, I think that it's essential to have this ghost coupling to renormalize these diagrams!

astros said:
I found L=c_bar(d.d+2.A.d)c

what's "c"? a ghost? Why did you have to introduce ghosts at all? what does the rest of the lagrangian look like?

Hello, thank you for your interest:
I have introduced ghosts to eliminate the Fadeev-Popov determinant, by using an integral over fermionic numbers (the ghosts, c), it is the same method as for the gauge d.A=0 except that in this case one finds free ghosts.

Hi again, I mentioned d.A+A.A=0 gauge to a friend and he suggested that perhaps you would be interested in something called "background field gauge" (see, e.g. Peskin and Schroder) which uses a gauge which looks like d.A+A.A=0, i.e. looks like D.A=0 but the covarient derivative is evaluated at the "background field."

There should be nothing wrong with using a dumb choice of gauge where the ghosts do not decouple. The ghosts have no physical significance whether or not they decouple. They don't appear in initial or final states. In calculating gauge invariant quantities, you will have to include diagrams with the ghosts and work harder, but the answers should be the same as in the usual lorentz gauge.

FAQ: Photon-Ghost Coupling: Quantum Lagrangian Density Analysis

1. What is photon-ghost coupling?

Photon-ghost coupling is a theoretical concept in quantum field theory that describes the interaction between photons (particles of light) and ghost particles (virtual particles that do not have physical existence). It is a complex phenomenon that is still being studied and understood by scientists.

2. How does photon-ghost coupling occur?

Photon-ghost coupling occurs through the exchange of virtual particles between photons and ghost particles. This exchange is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics and can be described using mathematical equations, such as the quantum Lagrangian density analysis.

3. What is the significance of studying photon-ghost coupling?

Understanding photon-ghost coupling is important for gaining a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature, as it plays a role in various physical processes, such as electromagnetic interactions and particle decays. It also has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and information processing.

4. What are some current research developments in photon-ghost coupling?

Scientists are currently exploring the concept of photon-ghost coupling in various contexts, such as in the study of supersymmetry and the search for new particles. They are also investigating the potential effects of photon-ghost coupling on the behavior of light in extreme environments, such as near black holes.

5. Can photon-ghost coupling be observed in experiments?

Photon-ghost coupling is a theoretical concept and is not directly observable in experiments. However, its indirect effects can be observed, such as through the scattering patterns of particles in particle accelerators. Scientists use these observations to validate and refine their theories about photon-ghost coupling.

Back