Does the Photon Mass of the Universe Add Up?

In summary: This is because light inside would acquire a higher effective mass. This is because we do not know if the energy of a photon is frame dependent, or its frequency. We also do not know if the energy of a photon in a composite system is always a sum of energies of the constituent photons. In summary, photons have no rest mass but they do have an effective mass that is dependent on their frequency and is not constant. The number of photons is not conserved and it is not meaningful to collect all the photons in the Universe in one spot. In a thought experiment, a shell containing light can be made to have a significant mass due to the increase in effective mass of the photons inside.
Dav333
I know that Photons have no mass at all. Although I read it was something insanely small like 1.1×10−52 kg.

So because it still has some small mass, and the fact that there are so many photons.

If it was possible to get all the photons in the Universe in one spot say the size of a cup. Would the whole lot weigh anything?

thanks. :)

Science news on Phys.org
I think that you might be confusing photons and neutrinos. The latter were always thought to be massless, until experiments showed that they do in fact have a very negligible rest mass. Photons have none.

Photons do have mass via a technicality - mass = [tex]\frac{hf}{c^2}[/tex] which of course is that famous equation rephrased.

They don't have an INVARIANT MASS, which is what everyone talks about - I think?

If you got all the photons in the world and "compressed it into a cup" then you would most probably create particles or it might collapse into a black hole if the radius is small enough.

I don't think it makes sense to localise photons like that though.

Yer I read that neutrinos have very small mass.

But if photons have no mass at all, then I would just assume all the photons in the universe in one small spot would still be total 0 mass. You could pick the cup with ease.
Kinda hard to wrap my brain around.

this might put me in a minority position here at PF, but i would not add the emphasis or affirmation "at all" with that statement. in fact i would go the other way and add a qualification:

Photons have mass. "Relativistic mass" or "inertial mass" that is [itex] m = E/c^2 = h\nu/c^2[/itex]. but, if they travel at the same speed as the wavespeed of light (which is "c"), their "rest mass" or "proper mass" is zero.

that 10-52 kg figure is a maximum rest mass (from some weird experiment i know little to nothing about) and if photons had that rest mass, they would be moving at a speed ever so slightly less than the wavespeed of light.

How about a perfect sphere of some finite radius, inside being mirrored, containing every photon in the universe except for those required for observation and measurements. Does that have mass greater than the shell?

What would happen if you started rotating it? Etc...

Dav333 said:
I know that Photons have no mass at all. Although I read it was something insanely small like 1.1×10−52 kg.

The photons do not have any rest mass. What you had read is an attempt by the present experimental methods to confirm that very fact. Due to experimental limitations, that value is the present upper limit we can set on the rest mass of a photon.

However, as mentioned by the others, there is an effective mass of hf/c^2. Note that this mass depends on the frequency of the photon, and is not a constant.

So because it still has some small mass, and the fact that there are so many photons.

Let's stick to the standard model -- the rest mass of a photon is zero.

The number of photons is not conserved. At every moment, photons are produced and absorbed by matter, not necessarily in equal numbers.

If it was possible to get all the photons in the Universe in one spot say the size of a cup. Would the whole lot weigh anything?

The energy or frequency of a photon is frame dependent. So, it is actually not a very meaningful statement to collect all the photons in the Universe. By bringing them to your frame from another, either their energy will change or they'll simply vanish by interacting with matter. Also, there may be parts of the Universe beyond an event horizon, from where anyway we cannot bring anything.

dst said:
How about a perfect sphere of some finite radius, inside being mirrored, containing every photon in the universe except for those required for observation and measurements. Does that have mass greater than the shell?

However, in a thought experiment, by putting in sufficient amount of thought light in a shell whose inside was a perfect mirror, the whole thing can be made to weigh anything.

1. What is the photon mass of the universe?

The photon mass of the universe refers to the total mass of all the photons in the observable universe. Photons are particles of light that have a very small but non-zero mass.

2. How is the photon mass of the universe calculated?

The photon mass of the universe is calculated by measuring the energy density of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the Big Bang. This energy density is then converted into a mass value using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc².

3. Does the photon mass of the universe contribute significantly to the total mass of the universe?

No, the photon mass of the universe is estimated to be only about 0.005% of the total mass of the universe. This is because photons have a very small mass compared to other particles, such as protons and neutrons.

4. What is the significance of knowing the photon mass of the universe?

Knowing the photon mass of the universe helps us better understand the composition and evolution of the universe. It also plays a role in cosmological theories and calculations, such as determining the rate of expansion of the universe.

5. Can the photon mass of the universe change over time?

No, the photon mass of the universe is a constant value and does not change over time. However, the number of photons in the universe may change due to processes such as the expansion of the universe or the formation of matter and antimatter pairs.