1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phys book on level of Halliday in style of Spivak

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    I've been trying to learn introductory physics for about a month now from a copy of Halliday 6th ed with some supplements from MITs 8.01 and an electronic copy of Feynman's lectures (I'm at about chapter/lecture 10 give or take in all of them) and I'm finding the presentation in Halliday rather uninspiring. It's a great reference book I think, but I find the presentation lacking.

This is contrasted with Feynman (but no corresponding problems) and Spivak's "Calculus", not a physics book, but I think it combines the presentation of Feynman with great problems that seem to have some mathematical significance. For example, I just finished deriving the Lagrangian interpolation formula, which is both an interesting question (given some points on a graph, what is a polynomial function that goes through all of them?) and one that seems to have some mathematical significance.

So basically what I'm looking for is physics book on the level of Halliday but that has the presentation of Feynman and the problems of Spivak (Spivak's presentation is as good as Feynman too).

(as an addendum: basically, is there a physics book that lays out experimental results/first principles and guides you in deriving its consequences? The rocket equations are an example of this, Halliday just kinda throws it at you and tells you to plug some numbers in...)
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted