1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physic project -- DC motor with electromagnets

1. Jun 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given
    I do not have a clue where to get the information to built a DC motor with four electromagnets

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jun 2, 2017 #3
    Thanks but my teacher do not want magnet. He wants it to be electromagnets instead. I'm a bit a t lost here. Do the electromagnet ca replace the magnet?

5. Jun 2, 2017 #4

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I built, what was called a Tin Can Motor, when I was a kid. It used a coil on the rotor (moving part) and the stator (stationary part). So it had 2 electromagnets, rather than any permanent magnets. Here is a link that I found to some vintage projects, which are not exactly that, but similar. I am not sure about if there are 4 electromagnets, or not. http://www.vintageprojects.com/science/5-motors.pdf

6. Jun 7, 2017 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. One electromagnet will be permanently excited in one current direction but the other you will have to figure out how to excite it alternately and synchronously with the rotation of the motor ...

7. Jun 7, 2017 #6

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here is another one that I found, you may find interesting.

8. Jun 7, 2017 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

If you see a simple motor built around a horse-shoe permanent magnet, then you can replace that horse-shoe magnet with a similarly-shaped electromagnet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted