Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical Intrepretation of cofactors

1. Jun 22, 2011 #1
    Is there any physical significance of the matrix terms such as cofactors and minors? I state that this is used for finding the inverse but that is rather an abstract concept and does not motivate the student . Is there any real life applications of these terms.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2011 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Did you come up with anything on this question yet?

I'm also curious about a geometric interpretation of cofactors and minors. A determinant can be interpreted as some kind of area or volume. If we have a 3x3 determinant expanded in terms of cofactors and minors, it is written as a sum of terms. Each term (apparently) can be interpreted as a volume. The minors represent areas and the cofactors might represent sides. At the moment, I'm not patient enough to sit down and draw the geometry of a particular example. I wonder if some diligent geometer has already done that for us.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook