Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical meaning of potential flow

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    Under which conditions can we describe the speed of the liquid with a potential flow? I know that the liquid must be incompressible, so that we get equation:

div(v)=0 or Laplace(fi)=0

But the velocity field must also be conservative, so that it's potential fi exists. Does this follow from non-viscosity of the fluid? How do we prove it?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Liquid flow is not, in general, a conservative vector field (equivalently, it is not the gradient of a scalar potential.) Consider a whirlpool (and please excuse my ascii math):

(Integral) v(dot)dr
    is path-dependent.

Hope this makes sense.

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3
    I know that general flow is not potential. The flow must not include whirlpools or more exactly: the rotor of v must be zero everywhere.
    But this does not help to estimate the validity of aproximation: why would I care about accuracy of the aproximation if I already had an exact solution? I think that (non)conservativeness of the flow must be predicted in advance (before the calculation of velocity field), from some physical causes.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  5. Apr 27, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you're asking under what physical conditions or situations flow will be conservative, I don't know. Sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?