Physical meaning of reflection

In summary, the speaker is asking for a physical explanation of reflection in a transmission line, and is also questioning why the sky appears blue instead of violet when Rayleigh scattering suggests that violet should be more scattered.
KoussalyaBalu
Hello all,
I was wondering about the physical meaning of reflection for quite a while. Suppose say I have a transmission line and say it has reflection at discontinuity what does this mean in physical sense. It would be really helpful if I get answers for this.

I have couple of other question too.
1. Rayleigh scattering - This is the phenomeno we use to explain the blueness of sky, but isn't violet lesser in bandwidth compared to blue in visible spectrum and shouldn't that be scattered more and the sky should look violet?

Regards
KoussalyaBalu

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the physical meaning of reflection?

The physical meaning of reflection is the phenomenon in which light, sound, or other forms of energy bounce off a surface after hitting it. This results in a change in direction, but the energy remains the same. Reflection is an important aspect of optics and acoustics, and plays a role in how we perceive the world around us.

2. How does reflection occur?

Reflection occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, hits a surface and bounces off. This happens because the surface is not able to absorb the energy of the wave, so it reflects it back in the opposite direction. The angle at which the wave hits the surface is equal to the angle at which it reflects off.

3. What are some real-life examples of reflection?

Some common examples of reflection in everyday life include seeing your reflection in a mirror, light reflecting off of a smooth surface, such as a lake or a car windshield, and sound reflecting off of walls in a large room. Reflection is also used in various technologies, such as telescopes, microscopes, and satellite communication.

4. What is the difference between regular and diffuse reflection?

Regular or specular reflection occurs when a wave hits a smooth surface and bounces off at equal angles, resulting in a clear and sharp reflection. Diffuse reflection, on the other hand, occurs when a wave hits a rough or uneven surface and bounces off in multiple directions, resulting in a scattered and blurred reflection.

5. What is the significance of reflection in physics?

Reflection plays a crucial role in our understanding of optics and acoustics in physics. It allows us to see objects and perceive sound, and it also helps us create and use various technologies, such as mirrors and microphones. Moreover, reflection is used in scientific experiments to study the properties of waves and their behavior when they interact with different surfaces.