1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical pendulum of stick swing

1. Sep 2, 2006 #1
    Problem:

A large stick is pivoted about one end and allowed to swing back and forth as a physical penulum. The mass of the stick is 5.90 kg and its center of gravity (found by finding its balance point) is 1.2 m from the pivot. If the period of the swinging stick is 3.90 seconds, what is its moment of inertia, about an axis through the pivot?

I used the parallel-axis theorem (Ip=Icm+Mh^2)....which turns out to be 1/3ML^2 ....so I get 11.328 kgm^2 as the moment of inertia. I am not sure why the period is given. I know T=(2pi)/omega and omega I think is sqrt(MgL/Ip)....so if I solve for Ip given the period, I get a different Ip than my previous calculation. Any enlightenment would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2006 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

You assumed that the stick could be approximated with a thin rod of uniform mass distribution. Apparently this assumption is wrong, the stick doesn't have to be of uniform material nor does it have to resemble a rod.
    The following equation applies to a physical pendulum:

[tex]T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{I_A}{mgl}}[/tex]

where IA is the moment of inertia about the axis through the pivot and l the distance between the pivot and centre of mass.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  4. Sep 3, 2006 #3
    Thanks! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?