Physical properties of High-temperature reusable surface insulation tiles

In summary, the person is new to a forum and is seeking information on the physical properties of High-temperature reusable surface insulation tiles used on the upper forward fuselage of space shuttles for a presentation. These tiles are ceramic and have high melting temperatures, allowing them to act as heat shields and protect the shuttle during re-entry. They also expand upon re-entry to cover any holes where heat can enter.
ToadLeafStar
Hey, i am new to the forums and i have a question. I wouldn't consider this to be home work, because it is worth 10% of my first year score grade in physics. So it is a course work. I have to do a 10 min presentation on a material of my choice. I chose to do space shuttle tiles.

So i was wondering if any of you can tell me about the physical properties of High-temperature reusable surface insulation tiles that are used on the upper forward fusalage of space shuttles.

It can be anything that is related to how it acts under large temperature, why it is best suited for its task, its strengths, its weaknesses, tensile strength.

Thanks, i can't seem to find this information on the internet

Science news on Phys.org
The tiles are, I think, ceramic tiles that do not conduct heat which in turn have high melting temperatures. From the ballistic missiles to the heat shield of the CM, Soyuz capsule, etc. have a heat shield that doesn't conduct heath in order to survive re-entry. Another factor is that the tiles of the heat shield is that the tiles expand upon re-entry which will cover all the holes where heat can enter.

1. What are high-temperature reusable surface insulation tiles made of?

High-temperature reusable surface insulation tiles are typically made of a silica-based material, such as reinforced carbon-carbon or silica tiles. These materials are chosen for their ability to withstand extremely high temperatures and protect the spacecraft from heat during re-entry.

2. How do these tiles protect spacecraft during re-entry?

During re-entry, the tiles act as a thermal barrier between the spacecraft and the intense heat of the Earth's atmosphere. They are designed to absorb and dissipate heat, preventing it from reaching the interior of the spacecraft and causing damage.

3. What is the maximum temperature these tiles can withstand?

The maximum temperature that these tiles can withstand varies depending on the specific material and design. However, they are typically able to withstand temperatures up to 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

4. How are these tiles tested for their physical properties?

Before being used on a spacecraft, these tiles undergo rigorous testing to ensure their physical properties can withstand the extreme conditions of re-entry. This includes subjecting them to high temperatures, extreme pressures, and other environmental factors that simulate the conditions of re-entry.

5. Can these tiles be reused after a spacecraft has returned from a mission?

Yes, as the name suggests, these tiles are designed to be reusable. After each mission, the tiles are carefully inspected and any damaged tiles are replaced. The remaining tiles are then cleaned and prepared for use on future missions.