Physicist that is also Eagle Scout

• Thread starter Summer12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, the speaker is looking for physicists who are also Eagle Scouts to write letters of recognition for their son who recently earned his Eagle Scout award. The son plans to study physics in college and the speaker believes letters from physicists would be more meaningful to him than letters from other notable figures. The speaker, who is an engineer, mentions that engineers are not considered impressive by the son. The conversation then shifts to discussing the son's service project, which involved managing volunteers for a weekend-long event for the Caledonian Society. The project required over 350 manhours and also involved handling an emergency situation due to severe thunderstorms.
Summer12
I'm looking for some physicists that are also Eagle Scouts. My son recently earned his award and I would like to get some letters of recognition. This is what he plans to study in college- he made this decision in middle school and has been working towards his goal ever since.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a great kid, but why would any random physicists endorse your son who they don't know?

Likes russ_watters
It's pretty much tradition for former Eagle scouts to write letters of congratulations for youth that have achieved this rank. Only 2% of scouts obtain this honor. Letters come from the President, congressmen, even Mike Rowe. And my son who may think those are nice would be more impressed by a Physicist than any of them.
I'm an engineer and I could get several but according to him, engineers just don't make the cut :-)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Oh, letters of congratulation/recognition for obtaining Eagle Scout - not endorsements for college acceptance. The last sentence threw me too.

I'm an Eagle Scout, but, sorry, I'm a mechanical engineer.

can you tell us a bit more about him? What did he do for his service project?

He wanted to do something different than build something- He managed the volunteers for the Highland Games, which is a weekend long event for the Caledonian Society. He organized and assigned volunteers for the game area, children's section, booths, marketing and sales, music areas, check in and parking. Volunteers rotated through multiple sessions and timeslots. He also organized food and water for all volunteers, safety etc since it was in the summer in the south. The project had over 350 manhours plus there were severe thunderstorms on the second day so he had to manage an emergency situation as well.

Likes Sophia and russ_watters

1. How did being an Eagle Scout shape your career as a physicist?

Being an Eagle Scout taught me important skills such as leadership, problem-solving, and perseverance, which have been invaluable in my career as a physicist. It also instilled in me a sense of curiosity and a love for learning, which are essential qualities for a scientist.

2. What inspired you to become an Eagle Scout and a physicist?

I have always been fascinated by science and the natural world, and being an Eagle Scout allowed me to explore and understand it in a hands-on way. Additionally, the principles of the Boy Scouts, such as being trustworthy, helpful, and prepared, align with the values of a scientist.

3. How do you balance your time between your job as a physicist and your duties as an Eagle Scout?

It can be challenging to balance both roles, but I have found that the key is effective time management and prioritization. I make sure to schedule my commitments and tasks efficiently, and I also have a supportive team and troop that helps me manage my responsibilities.

4. How has your experience as an Eagle Scout influenced your approach to problem-solving as a physicist?

As an Eagle Scout, I learned to approach problems with a systematic and logical mindset, breaking them down into smaller, manageable tasks. This approach has been useful in my work as a physicist, where I often encounter complex problems that require a methodical approach.

5. What advice do you have for aspiring Eagle Scouts who are also interested in pursuing a career in physics?

My advice would be to never stop learning and exploring. Being an Eagle Scout teaches you to be prepared for anything, and this mindset is crucial in the field of physics. Keep challenging yourself, stay curious, and don't be afraid to ask questions and seek guidance from mentors.