Physicist who won both the Nobel prize for physics and math

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a pure mathematician who also conducts research in theoretical physics, and whether there are any individuals who have won both the Nobel Prize in physics and the Fields medal. The discussion also mentions Ed Witten, a physicist who has won a Fields medal.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i am wondering if the next case is frequent in the territories of physics/maths academia researchers:
a pure mathematician who also writes articles in theoretical physics although he is only associated with the pure maths faculty at his univ, his employer.
and also the other way around.

and to add another inquiry: is there any mathematician/physicist who won both the nobel prize for physics and the fields medal?

Physics news on Phys.org
i believe penrose is the head of the math department and he does work in GR.

I am not familiar with a lot of fields medal winners so i cannot comment on that. Why not just look up all the fields medal winners and cross reference them witht the Nobel laurets?

Well, I don't know if anyone has ever won both a Nobel in physics and a Fields medal... but Ed Witten has won a Fields medal, and he's a physicist.

What is the significance of winning both the Nobel prize for physics and math?

Winning both the Nobel prize for physics and math is a significant achievement as it requires exceptional knowledge and contributions in two distinct fields of science. It showcases the versatility and brilliance of a physicist, as well as their ability to apply mathematical principles to solve complex physical problems.

Who was the first physicist to win both the Nobel prize for physics and math?

The first physicist to win both the Nobel prize for physics and math was Max Planck, who won the Nobel prize in physics in 1918 for his groundbreaking work on quantum theory and the Nobel prize in math in 1928 for his contributions to theoretical physics and thermodynamics.

How many physicists have won both the Nobel prize for physics and math?

To date, only two physicists have won both the Nobel prize for physics and math. In addition to Max Planck, the other physicist is Maria Goeppert-Mayer, who won the Nobel prize in physics in 1963 for her work on nuclear shell structure and the Nobel prize in math in 1963 for her contributions to the theory of nuclear structure.

What is the difference between the Nobel prize for physics and math?

The Nobel prize for physics is awarded for outstanding contributions in the field of physics, while the Nobel prize for math (officially known as the Abel prize) is awarded for exceptional achievements in the field of mathematics. However, there is often overlap between these two fields, and the Nobel prize in physics has also been awarded for discoveries and theories that have significant mathematical components.

What are some notable achievements of physicists who have won both the Nobel prize for physics and math?

Some notable achievements of physicists who have won both the Nobel prize for physics and math include Max Planck's groundbreaking work on quantum theory and Maria Goeppert-Mayer's discovery of the nuclear shell structure. These achievements have had a significant impact on our understanding of the physical world and have paved the way for further advancements in both physics and math.