1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics 20-1 Final Review: Projectiles

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question is something we got in our review booklet and I HATE projectile motion.

An object is thrown horizontally with a velocity of 18 m/s from the top of a cliff. If the object hits the ground 100 m from the base of of the cliff, how high is the cliff?

2. Relevant equations

d = v1t + 1/2at^2, v = d/t

3. The attempt at a solution

I try to break it up into components(vertical and horizontal) but nothing seems to work.

I used the equation d = 1/2v1 + 1/2at^2 to solve for t, because obviously the initial velocity is 0 m/s, but i end up with a far-fetched answer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2
    for some reason i have the same question, if you help me in my two threads, ill help you with yours. I'm beast at projectile motion
  4. Jan 14, 2009 #3
    so we're bargaining now? lol.
  5. Jan 14, 2009 #4
    1.You don't have any acceleration in the x direction so you can use that to find t.
    The fall ends when the object has traveld 100 m in the x direction at a constant velocity
    2. The equation is not correct d=v0t+(1/2)a*t2
  6. Jan 14, 2009 #5
    i still dont get it
  7. Jan 14, 2009 #6
    okay its thrown horizontally so no Vi in the Y direction
    g is -9.8
    you have distance in the x direction for 100m
    you need the velocity in the x direction and now you solve for time vx = 18ms
    T = dx/vx so 100/18 = T in seconds

then now solve for distance in the y direction
    D = viy*t +1/2(-9.8)(t^2) viy = 0 so solve for T and then solve for D

i think this should be right but im not sure

now you gotta help me more im still confused :(
  8. Jan 14, 2009 #7
    You can use a frame of reference [tex](X,Y)[/tex] with origin [tex](0,0)[/tex] in the cliff and the point [tex]P(0,s_{oy})[/tex] is where the projectile will be thrown.
    Equation of motion respect to X and Y are:

s_x=v_ox*t + s_{ox}\\
    s_y=\frac{1}{2} * g * t^2 + v_{oy}*t+s_{oy}

but in according to my frame of reference [tex]s_{ox}=0[/tex]. Nevertheless [tex]v_{ox}=0[/tex] and [tex]v_{oy}=0[/tex]. You can make the equation of motion explicit in the following way (t disappeared):

s_y=\frac{1}{2} * g * \frac{s_x^2}{v^2} + s_{oy}

but where the projectile falls in ground

[tex] - \frac{1}{2} * g * \frac{s_x^2}{v^2} = s_{oy} [/tex]

if you replace [tex]s_x[/tex] and [tex]v[/tex] given by the problem you will have [tex]s_{oy}[/tex] which is the height of the cliff from which the stuff is thrown (if I have done no error it should be approximately 151.39 m).
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?