Physics and Baseball, relating the two

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the velocity of a thrown baseball during long toss, taking into account factors such as air drag, angle, and elevation. While kinematics may not provide a complete answer due to the complexity of the situation, it is possible to use approximations or simulations to determine the velocity. The rotation of the ball and the spin applied by the pitcher also play a significant role in the distance of the throw. Adair's book "Physics of Baseball" delves into the effects of drag and spin on the distance of hit balls, which can also be applied to throws. Ultimately, finding the optimal angle for maximum distance may require some simplifications and cannot be solved as easily as a simple point particle problem.
CSOleson
Hey everyone. I've asked a few questions before here, but now I have one not related to my homework or career possibilities. It may be a little difficult.

I am a baseball player and I know classical mechanics and kinematics. However, this question is beyond that. I am trying to find a way to calculate the velocity of a throw when performing long toss. Long toss is a controversial topic in baseball where some try to throw the ball as far as possible to help increase arm efficiency, intent, etc. which overall is theorized to help with velocity. The reason I don't believe that kinematics will properly answer this is that we don't account for air drag, and there are too many unknowns. I don't know the time that it takes to travel the said given distance, I merely assume the angle (45 degrees) and know the distance (calculated by throwing across a football field).

So, knowing simply the distance, the angle, and the acceleration due to gravity and assuming no wind but also accounting for air drag, is it at all possible to figure out the velocity of a thrown baseball? Please let me know!

Also, considering air drag, would 45 degrees actually be the best angle for maximum distance? This would be less horizontal velocity and allow more time for the ball to be subjected to air drag. On top of everything, forgive my inability to do this on my own. I don't remember how to consider air drag into any equation...

EDIT: I forgot, how about elevation in this? I'm sorry, this may be too complicated...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, knowing simply the distance, the angle, and the acceleration due to gravity and assuming no wind but also accounting for air drag, is it at all possible to figure out the velocity of a thrown baseball? Please let me know!
With some approximations or a simulation, sure. The rotation of the ball could be relevant, too.
Also, considering air drag, would 45 degrees actually be the best angle for maximum distance?
The best angle is a bit below that, due to air drag and the non-zero initial height. In addition, the reachable velocity could depend on the angle.

Adair wrote a book called Physics of Baseball that deals with drag, spin and other effects that he uses (if I remember properly) to analyze the distances of hit balls. The same could be applied to throws.

I agree with MFB. In my experience, spin is an important effect, throwing the ball with a lot of top spin (I think that's the right term), where the top of the ball is spinning towards you will give you a significantly longer throw. Good pitchers can actually make the ball rise and then drop. To figure this out, along with air drag might not be an overwhelming problem if you make some simplifications, but it won't be as easy as simple force, velocity and gravity with a point particle.

Hi there,

I find the intersection of physics and baseball to be quite fascinating. In fact, baseball has been used as a subject for many physics experiments and studies, particularly in the areas of motion and aerodynamics.

To answer your question, it is definitely possible to calculate the velocity of a thrown baseball while accounting for air drag. This can be achieved through the use of equations that take into account air resistance, such as the drag force equation. However, as you mentioned, there are many unknowns in this scenario, such as the time of travel and the exact air resistance at that moment. This can make it difficult to accurately calculate the velocity.

In terms of the optimal angle for maximum distance, it is important to consider the trade-off between horizontal velocity and air resistance. As you mentioned, a lower angle (less horizontal velocity) may allow for a longer travel time and therefore reduce the effects of air drag. However, it also means that the ball will not travel as far horizontally. Finding the perfect balance between these factors would require further experimentation and analysis.

Regarding elevation, this can also play a role in the trajectory and velocity of a thrown baseball. The higher the elevation, the less air resistance the ball will experience. However, this may also affect the angle at which the ball is thrown and therefore impact the overall distance.

In conclusion, while it is possible to calculate the velocity of a thrown baseball while accounting for air drag, it may be challenging due to the many unknown variables. Further research and experimentation will be needed to accurately determine the optimal angle and velocity for maximum distance. Keep exploring and experimenting, and who knows, you may just make a valuable contribution to the intersection of physics and baseball. Good luck!

1. How does physics play a role in baseball?

Physics plays a crucial role in baseball. The laws of motion, specifically Newton's laws, explain how objects move and interact with each other. These laws apply to the movement of a baseball, the swing of a bat, and the trajectory of a pitch.

2. What is the physics behind a baseball pitch?

A baseball pitch involves principles of physics such as velocity, acceleration, and spin. The pitcher's arm provides the initial force to the ball, which then accelerates as it travels towards home plate. The spin on the ball affects the air resistance and creates movement, allowing pitchers to throw different types of pitches.

3. How does the design of a baseball affect its flight?

The design of a baseball, specifically its seams, plays a significant role in its flight. The seams create turbulence in the air, which causes the ball to curve or drop. The size and shape of the ball also impact its trajectory and speed.

4. What does exit velocity mean in baseball?

Exit velocity is a measurement of how fast the ball leaves the bat after a player makes contact. It is determined by the mass of the ball, the speed of the bat, and the angle at which the ball is hit. This measurement can help determine the power of a hit and the likelihood of a home run.

5. How does air resistance affect a baseball in flight?

Air resistance, also known as drag, impacts the flight of a baseball. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences air resistance, which slows it down. This is why pitchers are able to throw faster pitches in a closed stadium with no wind compared to an open stadium with strong winds.