Physics behind inflatable ball collision

It's all about maintaining a lower centre of gravity. If you can do that while leaning into the ball and keeping your feet in a stable position, you have a better chance of staying on your feet. In summary, The phenomenon of one person being propelled into the air while the other remains firmly on the ground when running at each other with giant inflatable balls seems random. However, it all comes down to maintaining a lower centre of gravity and keeping your feet in a stable position while leaning into the ball. This can increase your chances of staying on your feet instead of being sent flying.
iDimension
Hello all, I've seen the videos many times before, where two people run at each other with giant inflatable balls and one of them will go flying while the other will hold their ground. I always wondered what is responsible for one person being propelled into the air while the other person feels almost no effect.

Sometimes it's the person running the fastest, or the slowest, or the smallest, or the heaviest... It does seem rather random. So is there a way to run at someone and guarantee that you are not the one who gets sent across the room?

I imagine that if it was me I would run at them and then just as we are about to collide, place my feet in a stable position and try to maintain a lower centre of gravity while slowly leaning into the ball.

Physics news on Phys.org
iDimension said:
lower centre of gravity
I think you've put your finger on the secret.

1. What is the basic concept of the physics behind inflatable ball collision?

The basic concept of the physics behind inflatable ball collision is the conservation of momentum and energy. When two inflatable balls collide, they exert a force on each other and change each other's momentum. This force is determined by the elasticity of the balls and the speed at which they collide.

2. How does the elasticity of the balls affect the collision?

The elasticity of the balls, also known as their coefficient of restitution, determines how much the balls will deform upon collision. A higher elasticity means that the balls will deform less and bounce back with more force, resulting in a more energetic collision.

3. What factors affect the speed of the collision?

The speed of the collision is affected by the initial velocities of the balls, the mass of the balls, and the angle at which they collide. A head-on collision between two balls with equal mass and velocity will result in a higher speed compared to a glancing collision at an angle.

4. Can the conservation of momentum and energy be observed in inflatable ball collisions?

Yes, the conservation of momentum and energy can be observed in inflatable ball collisions. When two balls collide, their total momentum before and after the collision will be the same, and the total energy will also remain constant. This is because there are no external forces acting on the system.

5. How does the size and shape of the balls affect the collision?

The size and shape of the balls can affect the collision by changing the surface area of contact and the distribution of mass. A larger surface area of contact will result in a longer collision time and a lower speed, while a smaller surface area of contact will result in a shorter collision time and a higher speed. The distribution of mass can also affect the direction and outcome of the collision.