Physics book with explanations instead of definitions?

In summary: I was wondering if maybe there was a less formal book like that that would cover the concepts in depth but be written in a less textbook-y way.
Cole
Hello everyone, I am taking my third term of physics right now, and we are talking about flux at the moment. This terms is supposed to be a lot about E&M.

Though I find that our textbook (Physics for scientists and engineers a strategic approach 4/e) is very textbooky. I was wondering if there is such thing as a physics book that is written less formally and would be written more like a friend was explaining the concepts to me instead of a dictionary. But it would of course also have to do into the depth I need in order to do well in a college class.

Does such a thing exist? The closes thing I have found is khan academy, but they don't have videos on everything we are talking about.

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tip: most people refer to physics and math textbooks by the name(s) of their author(s) because the titles are so similar. You're using Knight's book, right? (a fairly well known calculus-based first-year university intro physics book)

You might look at the Feynman lectures, which are (legally) available online:

http://www.feynmanlectures.info/

Click on "Read" in the menu at the left side of the page.

Likes Cole and smodak
jtbell said:
Tip: most people refer to physics and math textbooks by the name(s) of their author(s) because the titles are so similar. You're using Knight's book, right? (a fairly well known calculus-based first-year university intro physics book)

Wow thank you this looks really helpful!

jtbell said:

And yes you're right this is Knight's book.

1. What is the difference between a physics book with explanations instead of definitions and one with traditional definitions?

A physics book with explanations instead of definitions focuses on providing a deeper understanding of the concepts rather than just memorizing definitions. It may include real-world examples, visual aids, and step-by-step explanations to help readers grasp the concepts more easily.

2. How can a physics book with explanations benefit me as a student?

Studying from a physics book with explanations can help you develop a better understanding of the subject, which can lead to improved problem-solving skills and higher grades. It can also make the learning process more engaging and enjoyable.

3. Are physics books with explanations suitable for all levels of students?

Yes, physics books with explanations can be useful for students at all levels, from beginners to advanced learners. They can be especially helpful for learners who struggle with traditional methods of teaching and need a more in-depth understanding of the subject.

4. Can I use a physics book with explanations as a supplement to my course textbook?

Absolutely! Using a physics book with explanations alongside your course textbook can help reinforce your understanding of the concepts and provide additional practice problems. It can also offer alternative explanations and perspectives on the same topic.

5. Are there any downsides to using a physics book with explanations instead of definitions?

One potential downside is that a physics book with explanations may not cover all the topics and definitions that are required for a specific course or exam. It is important to consult with your instructor or refer to your course syllabus to ensure you are covering all the necessary material.