1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Physics book with explanations instead of definitions?

1. Apr 20, 2017 #1
    Hello everyone, I am taking my third term of physics right now, and we are talking about flux at the moment. This terms is supposed to be a lot about E&M.

Though I find that our textbook (Physics for scientists and engineers a strategic approach 4/e) is very textbooky. I was wondering if there is such thing as a physics book that is written less formally and would be written more like a friend was explaining the concepts to me instead of a dictionary. But it would of course also have to do into the depth I need in order to do well in a college class.

Does such a thing exist? The closes thing I have found is khan academy, but they don't have videos on everything we are talking about.

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2017 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Tip: most people refer to physics and math textbooks by the name(s) of their author(s) because the titles are so similar. You're using Knight's book, right? (a fairly well known calculus-based first-year university intro physics book)

You might look at the Feynman lectures, which are (legally) available online:

http://www.feynmanlectures.info/

Click on "Read" in the menu at the left side of the page.

4. Apr 20, 2017 #3
    Wow thank you this looks really helpful!

5. Apr 20, 2017 #4
    And yes you're right this is Knight's book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted