1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(physics) Calculating eye diameter

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1
    Is it possible to calculate the diameter of the eye from front to back when you what kind of glasses the person needs? Like if someone needs -2 type of glasses is it possible to calculate the eye diameter?

If not would it be possible to determine someones eye diameter by determine the closest point at which the person can see sharp?

Thanks in advance, ive searched everywhere but couldnt find an answer.

[​IMG]

This is what someone gave me to help but i dont know if its useful? I cant contact that person right now.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The diameter of the eye is roughly equal to the focal length of the lens times the refractive index of the goo( can't spell aqueus humor ) inside your eye.

Generally the radius of the eye is taken as 9.2mm and the focal length of the lens 16.67mm - look for "Indiana Reduced Eye Model"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?