Carousel physics. Calculating constant speed and distance.

In summary, a child rides a carousel with a circumference of 8m at a constant speed of 1m/s. The movement from t=0s to t=1s is (0,900i-0,372j)m and the average speed from t=0s to t=3s is (0,300i-0,724j)m/s. The average acceleration between 1s and 3s is (-0,707i)m/s2. To find the average acceleration, one must determine the change in velocity between t=1s and t=3s. This can be done by subtracting the velocity at t=3s from the velocity at t=1s.
MissJewels

Homework Statement

A child a rides a carousel at t = 0 and moves in a circle that is 8 m in circumference at a speed of constant modulus of 1m / s. determine:
a) the movement of t = 0s to t = 1s
b) the average speed from t = 0s to t = 3s
c) the average acceleration between 1s and 3s

Homework Equations

I've got these that i figure work:
v= vxi + vyj
and
movement = Δxi + Δyj

The Attempt at a Solution

Given that the correct answers(provided by my textbook) should be
a) (0,900i -0,372j)m
b) (0,300i - 0,724j)m/s
c) (-0,707i) m/s2

I don't seem to know how to apply the equations above to land these answers... Vectors confuse me. For instance, Δx and Δy represent what ? I'm stuck. HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
a) is a vector subtraction problem. Draw the displacement from the centre at t=0 and the displacement at t=1 sec. What is the difference? (ie the displacement at t=0 minus the displacement at t=1)?

b) Use the method in a) to find the change in displacement from t=0 to t=3 sec. How would you define the average speed in terms of this displacement and the time difference?

c) What is the change in velocity between t=1 sec. and t=3 sec? (Hint: Draw the velocity vectors at each point and subtract the velocity at t=3 from that at t=1). How would you define the average acceleration in terms of this change in velocity and the time difference?

AM

So I've got the a and the b down but as for c, i don't know what you mean

MissJewels said:
So I've got the a and the b down but as for c, i don't know what you mean
How do you define the average acceleration?

Hint: It involves a change in the velocity (a vector). How would you determine the change in velocity between t=1 and t=3?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
How do you define the average acceleration?

Hint: It involves a change in the velocity (a vector). How would you determine the change in velocity between t=1 and t=3?

AM

Oh wow. I put down the wrong number over and over again. But I got it. ITs -0,707i.

1. How is constant speed calculated on a carousel?

Constant speed on a carousel is calculated by dividing the circumference of the carousel by the time it takes for one full rotation. This gives you the speed in units of distance per unit of time, such as meters per second.

2. What factors affect the speed of a carousel?

The speed of a carousel can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the carousel, the number of riders, the weight distribution of the riders, and the power of the motor driving the carousel.

3. How do you calculate the distance travelled on a carousel?

The distance travelled on a carousel can be calculated by multiplying the speed (in units of distance per unit of time) by the time spent on the carousel. This will give you the total distance travelled in that time period.

4. Can the speed and distance on a carousel be constant?

Yes, it is possible for the speed and distance on a carousel to be constant. This can be achieved by maintaining a steady rotation speed and a consistent number of riders on the carousel.

5. How does friction affect the speed and distance on a carousel?

Friction can affect the speed and distance on a carousel by slowing down the rotation of the carousel and reducing the overall speed and distance travelled. This is why regular maintenance and proper lubrication of the carousel is important for maintaining constant speed and distance.