1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carousel physics. Calculating constant speed and distance.

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A child a rides a carousel at t = 0 and moves in a circle that is 8 m in circumference at a speed of constant modulus of 1m / s. determine:
    a) the movement of t = 0s to t = 1s
    b) the average speed from t = 0s to t = 3s
    c) the average acceleration between 1s and 3s

2. Relevant equations
    I've got these that i figure work:
    v= vxi + vyj
    and
    movement = Δxi + Δyj

3. The attempt at a solution
    Given that the correct answers(provided by my textbook) should be
    a) (0,900i -0,372j)m
    b) (0,300i - 0,724j)m/s
    c) (-0,707i) m/s2

I dont seem to know how to apply the equations above to land these answers... Vectors confuse me. For instance, Δx and Δy represent what ? I'm stuck. HELP!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2011 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

a) is a vector subtraction problem. Draw the displacement from the centre at t=0 and the displacement at t=1 sec. What is the difference? (ie the displacement at t=0 minus the displacement at t=1)?

b) Use the method in a) to find the change in displacement from t=0 to t=3 sec. How would you define the average speed in terms of this displacement and the time difference?

c) What is the change in velocity between t=1 sec. and t=3 sec? (Hint: Draw the velocity vectors at each point and subtract the velocity at t=3 from that at t=1). How would you define the average acceleration in terms of this change in velocity and the time difference?

AM

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3
    So ive got the a and the b down but as for c, i dont know what you mean

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you define the average acceleration?

Hint: It involves a change in the velocity (a vector). How would you determine the change in velocity between t=1 and t=3?

AM

6. Nov 7, 2011 #5
    Oh wow. I put down the wrong number over and over again. But I got it. ITs -0,707i.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook