IBDP physics - new spec and SL/HL combined classes

• Thread starter rsk
  • Start date
rsk
Hi all
It's a few years since I've taught IB (I've been teaching A-levels recently) but I am returning to it for this school year.

I'm not yet at school but am hoping to spend some time getting organised.

Firstly, I know that the IB physics spec is changing this year. I've asked the school for the updated spec but haven't received it yet. If anyone out there has had a good look at it and can let me know if it's likely to change any of my plans for the first few weeks of term, I'd be grateful for any info!

Secondly, I will have a mixed group, both SL and HL students together. The HL students will also have extra classes with me, without the SL group. I know that this is not uncommon, and it's (usually) a matter of getting through enough material early on to then be able to move on to the HL material, but since it's a while since I've done this, I wondered if anyone had any ideas about how to manage this in the first few weeks?

Science news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Welcome back to teaching IB Physics! It's great to hear that you are taking the time to get organized before the school year starts.

Regarding the new spec, I would recommend reaching out to the IB organization directly for any updated materials. They are usually very responsive and can provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information. In the meantime, you can also review the changes on their website or reach out to other IB teachers for their insights.

As for teaching a combined SL/HL class, it can definitely be a challenge but also a great opportunity for differentiation and personalized learning. One suggestion would be to use a flipped classroom model, where students can review material at their own pace and you can focus on more in-depth discussions and activities in class. You can also consider assigning different tasks or projects for SL and HL students, tailored to their respective levels.

Overall, it's important to communicate with your students and set clear expectations from the beginning. With proper planning and flexibility, I'm sure you will have a successful and rewarding experience teaching the combined class. Best of luck!

1. What is the difference between the new spec and the old spec for IBDP Physics?

The new spec for IBDP Physics was introduced in 2016. It has a more integrated and holistic approach to learning, with a focus on understanding concepts rather than memorizing formulas. The old spec had a more compartmentalized approach and relied heavily on rote learning. Additionally, the new spec incorporates more modern advancements in physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

2. What topics are covered in IBDP Physics at both SL and HL levels?

At both SL and HL levels, IBDP Physics covers topics such as mechanics, thermal physics, waves, electricity and magnetism, atomic and nuclear physics, and energy production. However, HL students also cover additional topics such as fields, electromagnetism, and astrophysics.

3. What is the difference between SL and HL levels in IBDP Physics?

The main difference between SL (Standard Level) and HL (Higher Level) in IBDP Physics is the depth and breadth of topics covered. HL students cover more topics and are expected to have a deeper understanding of each topic. Additionally, HL students are required to complete a 10-hour practical project, while SL students only need to complete a 6-hour project.

4. How is the IBDP Physics exam structured?

The IBDP Physics exam consists of two written papers. Paper 1 is a multiple-choice paper, and Paper 2 consists of short-answer and extended-response questions. Both papers cover all topics in the syllabus. Additionally, students must complete an internal assessment, which includes a practical project and a written report.

5. What are some tips for success in IBDP Physics?

Some tips for success in IBDP Physics include developing a strong understanding of fundamental concepts, practicing problem-solving regularly, and using real-life examples to apply theories. It is also essential to stay organized and manage time effectively, especially when completing the internal assessment tasks. Additionally, seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed can also greatly improve understanding and performance in the subject.