1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Physics Differential Equations Problems/Solutions book?

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    I want to develop my feel for reading/interpreting differential equations, particularly in Physics applications (for developing models and understanding ones that others have developed).

Are there any good books out there that present problems that require deriving governing differential equations--and present the solutions so I can check my work?

I've found "A Guide to Physics Problems" Parts 1 & 2 by Sidney B. Cahn, Gerald D. Mahan, Boris E. Nadgorny, but am looking for others as well. Does anyone have experience with these books? http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/10325/graduate-physics-problems-books

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jan 27, 2015 #3
    Tenenbaum and Pollard text is useful. It kind of teaches you the why intuitively without sacrificing rigor. I would first work through this book then finding a book focused on physics applications.

5. Jan 28, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the comment. I do have this book and agree it's well laid out.

Now I'm looking to stash some practice problem books so I can get a better grasp on applying the material I'm learning. After all, practice makes perfect. Or, perfect practice makes perfect. However it goes.

6. Jan 28, 2015 #5
    I think the REA Problem Solvers Differential Equations book might be what you're looking for. Check out the preview on Amazon. I'm pretty sure it has some application problems. Not sure to what it extent though, it's mostly meant for math students, not physics. I generally enjoy their books for problems.

7. Jan 29, 2015 #6
    That looks like a good book. I like that they go through the solution in some detail instead of essentially going, "Here."

I'll pick this up and probably combine with some of the other books I've found. Thanks!

For me, I'd like to improve my ability to "think" in DEs -- I watch some people look at problems and just start writing them. Reading through the derivations of governing differential equations (e.g., simple case like the wave solution, or Navier-Stokes even) is what motivated this (plus what I see at work). I know there's natural ability that plays into it, but it's gotta be backed by a ton of practice I'm sure. So--why not practice!

8. Jan 29, 2015 #7
    Now I want to practice! LOL :D

9. Jan 30, 2015 #8
    Well that was an easy sell, haha.

I think between the ones I listed, the book you gave, and the Irodov book (General Problems in Physics)--the last one has quite a few solution sources online too (that go into more detail if needed--I should have plenty of work to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted