Resources for general vector differential equations?

In summary: But I'm not opposed to a book that is more conversational, either; it just seems like the ideal one would be more focused on the subject matter.
The Bill
I'd like a good set of notes or a textbook recommendation on how to approach vector differential equations. I'm looking for something that isn't specific to one type of application like E&M, fluid dynamics, etc., but draws heavily from those and other fields for examples.

I'd strongly prefer a conversational, intuition-heavy book that doesn't leave huge gaps "as an exercise" in critical proofs.

I'd also prefer a text that uses differential forms where appropriate, but that's less important as long as the treatment of the subject matter is handled well in general.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about partial differential equations?
There is always the classic work of an olde timey physicist
Partial Differential Equations by Sommerfeld

• Love
Likes vanhees71
Yes, Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, vol. 6 (Partial Differential equations), is a masterpiece. A bit more modern is the textbook by @Orodruin , containing a lot of the mathematics (particularly vector calculus) you need as a prerequisite to understand the partial differential equations of physics (potential theory aka. elliptic, heat/diffusion equations, aka parabolic, and wave equations, aka hyperbolic PDEs):

M. Blennow, Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering, CRC Press (2018)

Likes berkeman and Orodruin
vanhees71 said:
A bit more modern is the textbook by @Orodruin , containing a lot of the mathematics (particularly vector calculus) you need as a prerequisite to understand the partial differential equations of physics (potential theory aka. elliptic, heat/diffusion equations, aka parabolic, and wave equations, aka hyperbolic PDEs):

M. Blennow, Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering, CRC Press (2018)
I generally don't like to bang my own drum, but I won't argue with this either. :wink:

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, Hamiltonian, berkeman and 1 other person
caz said:
Are you talking about partial differential equations?
There is always the classic work of an olde timey physicist
Partial Differential Equations by Sommerfeld
What I'm asking about is more specific. Vector valued partial differential equations. Ideally, a textbook fitting this thread would assume the reader had already completed a course on scalar valued partial differential equations and had some familiarity with specific systems of vector valued partial differential equations like Maxwell's equations and the Navier-Stokes equations.

What I'm looking for is material that builds general tools and intuition for tackling systems of vector valued PDEs in general, from the beginning. That would be the entire focus of the text I'm looking for.

The Bill said:
I'd like a good set of notes or a textbook recommendation on how to approach vector differential equations. I'm looking for something that isn't specific to one type of application like E&M, fluid dynamics, etc., but draws heavily from those and other fields for examples. I thought to find it on https://plainmath.net/secondary/algebra/algebra-i/polynomial-graphs where there are always answers to any problems and questions with free solutions to polynomial graphs problems and not only. But in any case, I'm interested in the supplement resources.

I'd strongly prefer a conversational, intuition-heavy book that doesn't leave huge gaps "as an exercise" in critical proofs.

I'd also prefer a text that uses differential forms where appropriate, but that's less important as long as the treatment of the subject matter is handled well in general.
Have you tried looking for something similar in local scientific libraries? Very often we underestimate these places in the 21st century

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Likes yucheng and vanhees71
Bae3uyei said:
Have you tried looking for something similar in local scientific libraries? Very often we underestimate these places in the 21st century
If I get a recommendation that is a textbook, I'll certainly check my local university library, and get it through interlibrary loan if they don't have it.

1. What are general vector differential equations?

General vector differential equations are mathematical equations that involve vector-valued functions and their derivatives. They are used to describe the relationship between multiple variables and how they change over time.

2. What are some common applications of general vector differential equations?

General vector differential equations are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model physical systems, such as the motion of objects, or to analyze economic trends and patterns.

3. What resources are available for learning about general vector differential equations?

There are many resources available for learning about general vector differential equations, including textbooks, online tutorials, and courses. Some universities also offer courses specifically focused on this topic.

4. How can I solve general vector differential equations?

General vector differential equations can be solved using a variety of methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, or using numerical methods. The appropriate method will depend on the specific equation and its characteristics.

5. What are some common challenges when working with general vector differential equations?

Some common challenges when working with general vector differential equations include identifying the appropriate method for solving the equation, dealing with complex systems of equations, and understanding the physical meaning of the solutions.