Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics documentary?

1. Jun 1, 2008 #1
    Hey everyone. I'm sure some of you probably know of some really good physics/cosmology documentaries out there. I've seen NOVA's Elegant Universe and Carl Sagan's Cosmos series, and I was wondering if anyone else knew of any physics documentaries that they would recommend? Can be about the basics of physics, cosmology, astronomy or any interesting theory (ex. NOVA's elegant universe). Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2008 #2
    A Brief History of Time -stephen hawking (my favourite)

do a search for this guy "Jim Al-Khalili" as "In 2007 he presented Atom, a three-part series on BBC Four about the history of our understanding of the atom and atomic physics"

and finally id suggest doing a search on youtube for "CERN"
  4. Jun 2, 2008 #3
    There was an interesting documentary that aired on NOVA a few years back on an Autobiography of Isaac Newton ; This documentary mainly focused on Newton deep fascination with the occult so it really is an autobiography. More like a memoir.
  5. Jun 2, 2008 #4
    It was called "Newton: The dark heretic".
  6. Jun 2, 2008 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. Jun 2, 2008 #6
    Wow, keep them coming guys!

And I hate to hijack the thread, but any documentaries, not necessarily physics but any philosophy, science and mathematics would be most welcome!

Thanks a bunch, it's amazing how satellite has nearly 500+ channels and nothing on.
  8. Jun 2, 2008 #7
    Quite agree, I liked "The elegant universe" by brain greene but it turns out its just hoax...but please keep em' coming
  9. Jun 2, 2008 #8
    no, it was called "Newton's Dark Secrets"

It was the best documentary I've ever seen, considering that it portrayed the life of one of the greatest scientists in history and how he thought
  10. Jun 2, 2008 #9
    I just looked it up and you are correct. I was thinking of another documentary that BBC did with the name I mentioned.
  11. Jun 2, 2008 #10
    This site basically just links to google videos but its a good place to look for look for documentaries.

bodocus.com (I dont have enough posts to link directly yet)
  12. Jun 2, 2008 #11
    Anything from NOVA is excellent, and I see a number of NOVA documentaries have already been mentioned. I also liked the BBC interview with Feynman from 1981, though I've only watched the 15 minutes of short clips on the BBC website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/broadband/archive/feynman/) thus far. I found the full interview the other day, and look forward to watching that soon too.
  13. Aug 16, 2009 #12
  14. Jan 29, 2010 #13
    How/why is The Elegant Universe documentary a "hoax"?

Definition of hoax from Merriam-Webster:

Brian Greene is a scientist. As far as I know he tends to present things in an intellectually honest manner in that he admits that [string theory/M-theory] could be wrong but hopes/believes that it is right. Hoax, I believe, is a strange and insulting word to describe that documentary or any scientific theory or presentation that turns out to be false or have contradictory evidence presented against it.

Can you give evidence that it was indeed a hoax? Am I missing something?
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  15. Feb 14, 2011 #14
    theres also Cosmolearning & Streaming-madness
  16. Feb 15, 2011 #15
    Try to find the BBC interview with Richard Feynman called "Fun to Imagine". It's a beautiful look into the mind of one of the greatest geniuses of the 20th century.
  17. Feb 16, 2011 #16
    "how long is a piece of sting" was one lovely documentary to me, not very hard to understand, yet informative.
  18. Feb 16, 2011 #17
  19. Feb 16, 2011 #18
    I thought "The Story of Maths" was pretty great:

Pretty much anything with Marcus de Sautoy is quite good. Same goes for Jim Al-Khalili.

I've also spent much quality time watching all sorts of BBC Horizon documentaries. All I can say is it's a shame they never get aired here in Canada. Nor do we ever get anything of that high level of quality on a regular basis. Thank goodness for YouTube!
  20. Jan 16, 2012 #19
    I saw one that was by BBC I believe, it was called Fermat's Last Theorem. It's about a guy trying to complete a math equation without giving too many details away.
  21. Jan 16, 2012 #20
    It's not a documentary per say but an awesome show that's part mythbusters part interviews with scientists and such is the british show "Bang Goes the Theory". It's really very good.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?