Physics Extended Essay: Kinetic Friction Research

In summary, the individual is seeking advice for their Extended Essay in physics which focuses on the impact of water depth and road temperature on coefficient of kinetic friction. However, their teacher has expressed concerns about controlling variables and they only have access to their high school lab. Suggestions are given to research hydroplaning and tire traction versus pavement temperature for guidance on the topic.
anuraag.raj
Hello!
I am doing my Extended Essay in physics. Extended Essay is a formal research on a topic and its about 4000 words. My topic is ' How does depth of water on the road and the temperature of the road affect the coefficient of kinetic friction'. My teacher says I cannot effectively control the variables, can anyone give some advice on the topic. I have access only to my high school lab.

Engineering news on Phys.org
anuraag.raj said:
Hello!
I am doing my Extended Essay in physics. Extended Essay is a formal research on a topic and its about 4000 words. My topic is ' How does depth of water on the road and the temperature of the road affect the coefficient of kinetic friction'. My teacher says I cannot effectively control the variables, can anyone give some advice on the topic. I have access only to my high school lab.

Welcome to the PF.

Are you able to separate those two effects into two subjects, or do you need to have both water on the road and variable temperature at the same time?

What kind of reading have you been doing so far to give you ideas on how to proceed? It would seem that searching for information on hydroplaning would be helpful. And separately searching for information about tire traction versus pavement temperature should help some too.

Related to Physics Extended Essay: Kinetic Friction Research

1. What is kinetic friction and how does it differ from static friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic imperfections on the surfaces and the interlocking of the rough edges. Unlike static friction, which prevents two surfaces from moving relative to each other, kinetic friction occurs when the surfaces are already in motion.

2. How do you calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the magnitude of the kinetic friction force by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be represented by the equation µk = Fk/FN, where µk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, Fk is the kinetic friction force, and FN is the normal force.

3. How does the roughness of surfaces affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The roughness of surfaces directly affects the coefficient of kinetic friction. The rougher the surfaces, the higher the coefficient of kinetic friction. This is because rough surfaces have more microscopic imperfections and interlocking points, resulting in a greater resistance to motion.

4. How does the weight of an object impact the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The weight of an object does not directly impact the coefficient of kinetic friction. However, it does affect the normal force between the two surfaces, which is a component in the calculation of the coefficient of kinetic friction. As the weight of an object increases, the normal force also increases, resulting in a higher coefficient of kinetic friction.

5. How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be reduced?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the two surfaces. These substances create a thin layer between the surfaces, reducing the roughness and interlocking points, and thus reducing the friction. Additionally, using smoother surfaces or decreasing the weight of the object can also decrease the coefficient of kinetic friction.