Physics Homework - Coefficent of friction.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the coefficient of friction in two different scenarios involving cars. The first scenario involves a 2000 kg car sliding to a stop over a distance of 200 m, while the second scenario involves a 3000 kg car accelerating with a force of 5500 N. The coefficient of friction can be calculated using the formula μk= Ff/Fn, where Ff represents the frictional force and Fn is the normal force. The frictional force can be found by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the normal force.
Huskies101
I understand what to do for single step problems, but I get lost when it comes to multi-stepped. Help, please!

1. A 2000 kg car traveling at 20 m/s slides to a stop over a distance of 200 m on a snowy level road. What is this coefficient of friction between car's tires and the road?

2. A 3000 kg car accelerates along a level road at a rate of 1.5 m/s when 5500 N of force is applied. What is its coefficient of friction?

Honestly, I am completely lost, and I do need help. So please, can you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kinetic energy lost by the car is equal to the work done by the frictional force.
Coefficient of friction = ...?

rl.bhat said:
Kinetic energy lost by the car is equal to the work done by the frictional force.
Coefficient of friction = ...?

I know coefficient of friction = us= FnFf. But how do I find Ff? (Frictional force.) Is it the same as the force applied?

Frictional force X displacement = Loss of KE
And us = Ff/Fn

Kinetic Friction Force=the product of the coefficient of the kinetic friction AND the normal force
"Ffk=μkFn"

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is represented by the symbol "μ" and is a dimensionless quantity.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force of friction between two surfaces by the normal force, or the force perpendicular to the surface. It can also be determined by using a formula involving the angle of inclination and the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is influenced by several factors, including the types of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force applied. It can also be affected by the presence of lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect motion?

The coefficient of friction determines the amount of force required to move an object over a surface. Higher coefficients of friction result in greater resistance, making it more difficult to move an object. Lower coefficients of friction, on the other hand, allow for smoother and easier motion.

5. How is the coefficient of friction used in real-life applications?

The coefficient of friction is an important concept in many fields, including engineering, physics, and materials science. It is used to design and test the performance of various products, such as tires, brakes, and machinery. It is also used in sports, such as determining the ideal surface for a specific sport, like ice for skating or grass for football.