1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Homework - Coefficent of friction.

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    I understand what to do for single step problems, but I get lost when it comes to multi-stepped. Help, please!

1. A 2000 kg car traveling at 20 m/s slides to a stop over a distance of 200 m on a snowy level road. What is this coefficient of friction between car's tires and the road?

2. A 3000 kg car accelerates along a level road at a rate of 1.5 m/s when 5500 N of force is applied. What is its coefficient of friction?

Honestly, I am completely lost, and I do need help. So please, can you help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Kinetic energy lost by the car is equal to the work done by the frictional force.
    Coefficient of friction = ...?

4. Oct 22, 2009 #3
    I know coefficient of friction = us= FnFf. But how do I find Ff? (Frictional force.) Is it the same as the force applied?

5. Oct 22, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Frictional force X displacement = Loss of KE
    And us = Ff/Fn

6. Oct 23, 2009 #5
    Kinetic Friction Force=the product of the coefficient of the kinetic friction AND the normal force
    "Ffk=μkFn"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook