Physics illiterate! Finding Magnitude and Direction given displacement vectors!

• Thread starter jdp123
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A grasshopper makes four jumps. The displacement vectors are (1) 24.0 cm, due west; (2) 23.0 cm, 31.0 degrees south of west; (3) 23.0 cm, 33.0 degrees south of east; and (4) 34.0 cm, 46.0 degrees north of east. Find (a) the magnitude and (b) direction of the resultant displacement. Express the direction with respect to due west. (Note: Use the convention that an angle south of west is positive, and an angle north of west is negative.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do know that you have to solve using components, but the assignment that I'm doing is online and every answer that I've entered so far has been wrong...so clearly I'm doing something wrong. If anyone could help, with workings, I would be SO appreciative!

Answers and Replies

fss
Have you drawn a picture to help you visualize the problem? It's nothing more than a trigonometry problem if you know conceptually what you have to do.

I have! That's a reason why I find physics so difficult. I feel that even when I do draw the vectors, I still find it extremely hard to visualize what it is that I'm looking for.