Physics job with flexible schedule?

In summary, the person is asking if there are any jobs in the world that allow for a flexible time commitment and schedule, while still being able to work in the field of physics and have the financial stability to enjoy leisure activities with friends. They are wondering if it is possible to work remotely from home or a hotel and if most physics jobs require being in a facility or office. Suggestions include finding a job in software or starting your own company, but it is noted that these may involve long hours. Other options could include working as a distance learning physics professor or as a consulting scientist, which may offer more flexibility but still have certain non-negotiable commitments. Overall, it is recommended to research and carefully consider different job opportunities and their respective work-life
MF955
I was wondering what physics-major-based job has a flexible time commitment and schedule -- I want to be able to have a job where I can be financially stable and also love what I do - aka physics - but also be able to go out and have fun with my friends if they want to have an impromptu skiing or surfing or hiking or whatever trip. Are there any jobs that promote this any where in the world? I understand that physics jobs need a lot of time but are there jobs where I can do my work remotely from my home or hotel or do the majority of jobs require me to be at a physics facility or office?

Physics news on Phys.org
MF955 said:
I was wondering what physics-major-based job has a flexible time commitment and schedule -- I want to be able to have a job where I can be financially stable and also love what I do - aka physics - but also be able to go out and have fun with my friends if they want to have an impromptu skiing or surfing or hiking or whatever trip. Are there any jobs that promote this any where in the world? I understand that physics jobs need a lot of time but are there jobs where I can do my work remotely from my home or hotel or do the majority of jobs require me to be at a physics facility or office?
Sounds to me like you have an overly optimistic view of what the work-a-day world is like.

Likes clope023, Jaeusm, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
MF955 said:
Are there any jobs that promote this any where in the world?

I think that largely depends where you live more than the role title. Flexitime is the standard for most professional roles in my country. Paid leave and hours worked per year varies wildly by country. Many physics graduates seem to end up in software which has scope for Telecommuting or contract work where you pick your own work hours.

What you want is to be the CEO of your own start up...

Dr Transport said:
What you want is to be the CEO of your own start up...
No, he wants free time. Typically CEOs of their own startups work 80 hours a week unless they plan on failure

Let's see: flexible time commitment, flexible schedule, financial security, get to do the physics you are interested in, work remotely from home or hotel, ...

I suggest you marry someone who is wealthy. Or perhaps win the lottery. I cannot think of another legal way to do this, since life doesn't seem to work the way you would like it to.

Good luck,

Jason

I agree with much of what members posted here on this. Usually, flex time or a flexible schedule means that a company may call you if it needs something done, and will usually not need you except every once in a while - very rarely. Also be careful at a job interview if the interviewer askes if you might be interested in a part-time position. If you say yes in any way, then this indicates to the interviewer that you are not very serious about finding/doing work.

symbolipoint said:
I agree with much of what members posted here on this. Usually, flex time or a flexible schedule means that a company may call you if it needs something done, and will usually not need you except every once in a while - very rarely.

That's not the normal definition of flextime, it sounds more like zero hour contracts or on call shifts which are both pretty heinous and almost always associated with unskilled labour.

I have flextime and it means I can do the 4/10 schedule (four ten hour days then three day weekends) or the 9/80 schedule (eight 9 hour days, one 8 hour day and every second friday off) at my discretion. I can leave early and come in late when I like. As long as I work an average of 40 hrs a week all is fine. Flextime is standard for most professionals in my country.
I get over 6 weeks paid time off a year and 5 sick days, that's the legal minimum, I can normally take time off at short notice. I can only rarely telecommute due to the nature of my work but some of the other engineers and designers do more often.

So yeah, what OP describes is the norm in some places, not optimistic at all. And IME work-life balance & employee benefits at engineering firms lags behind many other industries.

What Billy Joule describes is more what I would call an "alternative work schedule", and that is not uncommon. That's not my read on what the OP is asking about.

Two possibilities I see for a physics job with a flexible work schedule:

1. A faculty job focused on distance learning physics courses. These courses are growing in popularity and in some states a growing percentage of STEM faculty are needed to meet the demands. In most cases, one would need to be hired as a normal full-time faculty member at a teaching-focused institution and transition into being one of the main distance learning faculty members. But it is possible (if you are a very good distance learning professor, by the institution's criteria) to eventually have one's whole teaching load be through distance learning, which provides lots of schedule and location flexibility.

2. Be a consulting scientist. My wife and I (both Physics PhDs) earn our living this way. My main emphasis is defense-related work, but in down defense funding cycles (ongoing since 2012), we end up broadening our scope and including a lot of legal consulting work. There is still lots of scheduling flexibility compared with the 9-5 industry jobs and faculty teaching jobs, but a high level of responsiveness to clients is a must AND there will be non-negotiable scheduled events like depositions and courtroom testimony. But it is very flexible regarding when the experiments are done, when the case evidence is reviewed, and when the reports are written.

Likes TranslationInSpace and elkement
phinds said:
Sounds to me like you have an overly optimistic view of what the work-a-day world is like.

Just out of curiosity, how many hours a week do you work? And how flexible is your work schedule?

StatGuy2000 said:
Just out of curiosity, how many hours a week do you work? And how flexible is your work schedule?
I'm retired but when I worked, I worked 45 to 60 hrs/week, usually about 50, more (sometimes much more) in crunch time. Start/end of day was pretty flexible in most jobs (not all) but long weeks were always de rigeur.

phinds said:
I'm retired but when I worked, I worked 45 to 60 hrs/week, usually about 50, more (sometimes much more) in crunch time. Start/end of day was pretty flexible in most jobs (not all) but long weeks were always de rigeur.

When you say "long weeks", are you referring to working on weekends, or are you simply referring to working a full 5 day work week?

StatGuy2000 said:
When you say "long weeks", are you referring to working on weekends, or are you simply referring to working a full 5 day work week?
Generally hours in a 5 day week but at some of my jobs weekend work was not too uncommon.

Dr. Courtney said:
2. Be a consulting scientist. My wife and I (both Physics PhDs) earn our living this way.

I second this! My husband and I are also both physics PhDs and we work as self-employed consulting engineers (heat pumps, monitoring and control, IT security...). I agree with clients on deliverables and deadlines, and some appointments are fixed - but I can define my own schedule most of the time, and I can also do a lot of work remotely.
There might be some peaks of workload now and then, like ad hoc troubleshooting or when a system goes live - but I am much more flexible than I ever was in any employed position. In particular, I have to travel less.

Caveat: We have some very narrow specialties, and we had either built up some reputation for years in a very specific industry sector before we could work like this (e.g. IT security) or we had invested our own R&D time and money in buidling a prototype system before we could do related consulting (e.g. heat pumps).

Likes TranslationInSpace
elkement said:
I second this! My husband and I are also both physics PhDs and we work as self-employed consulting engineers (heat pumps, monitoring and control, IT security...). I agree with clients on deliverables and deadlines, and some appointments are fixed - but I can define my own schedule most of the time, and I can also do a lot of work remotely.
There might be some peaks of workload now and then, like ad hoc troubleshooting or when a system goes live - but I am much more flexible than I ever was in any employed position. In particular, I have to travel less.

Caveat: We have some very narrow specialties, and we had either built up some reputation for years in a very specific industry sector before we could work like this (e.g. IT security) or we had invested our own R&D time and money in buidling a prototype system before we could do related consulting (e.g. heat pumps).

Yes, that's how we roll also.

What degrees are required?

What is a physics job with flexible schedule?

A physics job with flexible schedule is a job that involves conducting scientific research or experiments in the field of physics, but allows for a flexible work schedule. This means that the employee has control over when they work and can adjust their hours to fit their personal needs.

What types of jobs in physics offer a flexible schedule?

Some common jobs in physics that offer a flexible schedule include research scientist, lab technician, data analyst, and teaching assistant. These positions often involve conducting experiments, analyzing data, and assisting with research projects, which can be done at different times and locations, allowing for a more flexible work schedule.

What are the benefits of having a flexible schedule in a physics job?

Having a flexible schedule in a physics job allows for a better work-life balance. It gives employees the opportunity to work when they are most productive and can better manage personal commitments. It also allows for a more diverse and inclusive workplace, as employees with different schedules or needs can still contribute to the scientific research being conducted.

Are there any disadvantages to having a flexible schedule in a physics job?

One potential disadvantage of a flexible schedule in a physics job is that it may require a high level of self-discipline and time management skills. Without a set schedule, it can be easy to become distracted or fall behind on work. Additionally, some jobs may require specific hours or deadlines, which may not be feasible with a flexible schedule.

How can one find a physics job with a flexible schedule?

The best way to find a physics job with a flexible schedule is to search for job postings that specifically mention flexibility or remote work options. Networking with other scientists and researchers in the field may also lead to potential job opportunities with flexible schedules. It is also important to clearly communicate your need for a flexible schedule during the job application and interview process.