Can I Pursue Engineering with a Physics Degree?

• Thread starter moogull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual is a sophomore in college majoring in physics but has a passion for engineering and finances/economics. They are wondering if it is possible to get into a graduate engineering program with an undergraduate degree in physics. Others suggest taking relevant electives and doing research to gain a strong background in math, semiconductors, and EM fields and waves. The individual is unable to transfer schools due to a full ride scholarship.
moogull
Hi physics forum,

I am new to this forum, and I'm very glad it exists.

I have been having a dilemma about my plans for my future for several weeks now, it just seems that I have idea what I am doing with myself...

I am a sophomore in college currently majoring in physics, the only problem I have is what I want/can do with an undergraduate degree in physics (BS). To give you all a little background information about myself, I have always loved learning about the way things work and building things. At the same time, I have noticed that I do not think I have the passion to do research in theoretical physics but I would much rather do something finite. What I really want to do is something in engineering or finances/economics.

My first basic question is: is it possible for me to get into a graduate engineering program with an undergraduate degree in physics?

I appreciate all positive feedback!

thanks -moogull

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the program and (to some degree) what electives you take. If you want to get into an engineering graduate program you should take electives that relate to engineering.

Well I like things relating to computers, like semiconductor technology, and I really like machinery (airplanes specifically) so I think electrical and aeronautical apply to me the most?

Also, what sort of electives do you consider relevant? I know I am going to take some computer science, as I am very interested in it and I know it is very relevant to lots of different areas/industries, especially those with engineering.

"What I really want to do is something in engineering or finances/economics."

Then why are you majoring in physics?

Well I'm not at an engineering school and transferring is not an option for me so I am using physics to learn a skill set that I can hopefully apply to an engineering graduate program, is this possible?

moogull said:
Also, what sort of electives do you consider relevant?

It doesn't matter what I think. You should look into programs that seem appealing to you and see what their prerequisites are. For example if you want to be an electrical engineer but have never taken any sort of electronics laboratory, that's going to be a problem.

take the basic engineering courses for the type of engineering you want to go into as electives for your physics major, that should do the trick IMO

moogull said:
At the same time, I have noticed that I do not think I have the passion to do research in theoretical physics but I would much rather do something finite. What I really want to do is something in engineering or finances/economics.

My first basic question is: is it possible for me to get into a graduate engineering program with an undergraduate degree in physics?

Yes, but I think you'll find things in physics that you'll find interesting. Doing research is more sweat than passion.

moogull said:
Well I'm not at an engineering school and transferring is not an option for me so I am using physics to learn a skill set that I can hopefully apply to an engineering graduate program, is this possible?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=431933

Some people seem to be banking on it's possibility.

Thank you for that link, its helpful!

I'm one of the people from that thread hoping to get into an M.S. EE program. A lot of people I've talked to think it's fine. I would take classes like circuits, signal processing, or electronics lab if possible to prepare. At least that's what I'm doing. The good thing is physics gives you a strong background in math, semiconductors, and EM fields and waves.

moogull said:
transferring is not an option for me
Are you sure?

I would be giving up a full ride at the school I'm currently at. I can't do that to my parents!

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe.

2. How is physics important in our daily lives?

Physics plays a crucial role in our daily lives, from the technology we use (such as electricity and computers) to the natural phenomena we experience (like gravity and weather). It helps us understand the world around us and allows us to create new technologies that can improve our lives.

3. What are the main branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. Other branches include astrophysics, biophysics, and nuclear physics.

4. What are some famous physics discoveries?

Some famous physics discoveries include Isaac Newton's laws of motion, Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, and the discovery of the Higgs boson particle. Other notable discoveries include the laws of thermodynamics, the electromagnetic spectrum, and the principles of quantum mechanics.

5. How can I learn more about physics?

There are many ways to learn more about physics. You can take courses at a university, read books and articles, watch educational videos, or attend lectures and seminars. It is also helpful to engage in hands-on experiments and problem-solving activities to gain a deeper understanding of the subject.