Physics problem : Oscillating circuit

In summary, in an oscillating circuit with a capacitance of 2 microfarads and a maximum voltage of 5V, the maximum energy of the magnetic field is 10^-6 * 25 and the energy of the magnetic field when the voltage of the capacitor is 3V is 10^-6 * 9. This is determined by using the equation (CU^2)/2 = (LI^2)/2 and considering the trade-off of energy between the capacitor's electric field and the inductor's magnetic field.
Voidbane

Homework Statement

In an oscillating circuit, the capacitance is 2 microfarads and the maximum voltage at the clamps is 5V.
Find out
1:the maximum energy of the magnetic field.
2:energy of the mag field when the voltage of the capacitor is 3V.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I transformed microfarads in farads.
2 microfarads= 2*10^-6 farads.

There isn't any mention of resistance, and it is said that it's an oscillating circuit, so i assumed that resistance is 0.
If R=0 => (CU^2)/2 = (LI^2)/2 => 2 * 10^-6 * 9
so the energy of the mag field when the voltage is 3V is 10^-6 * 9

The max energy of the magnetic field is 1/2 * CU^2 =10^-6 * 25

I managed to come to these results by using various bits from others problems in my notebook, but I'm pretty sure they're wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Voidbane, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Voidbane said:

Homework Statement

In an oscillating circuit, the capacitance is 2 microfarads and the maximum voltage at the clamps is 5V.
Find out
1:the maximum energy of the magnetic field.
2:energy of the mag field when the voltage of the capacitor is 3V.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I transformed microfarads in farads.
2 microfarads= 2*10^-6 farads.

There isn't any mention of resistance, and it is said that it's an oscillating circuit, so i assumed that resistance is 0.
If R=0 => (CU^2)/2 = (LI^2)/2 => 2 * 10^-6 * 9
so the energy of the mag field when the voltage is 3V is 10^-6 * 9

The max energy of the magnetic field is 1/2 * CU^2 =10^-6 * 25

I managed to come to these results by using various bits from others problems in my notebook, but I'm pretty sure they're wrong.

When you have an LC oscillator, energy is being traded back and forth between the capacitor's ELECTRIC field and the inductors MAGNETIC field. It doesn't have to be all in one place at the same time...

When the capacitor's potential difference is at a peak, then all of the energy is in the capacitor's field. When the capacitor's P.D. is zero, then current is maximum and the energy is all in the inductor's field. In between there will be energy in both places. If you know the capacitor's P.D. for a given instant, then you should be able to find the energy in the capacitor for that instant, and the rest should be in the inductor's field.

1. What is an oscillating circuit?

An oscillating circuit is a type of electrical circuit that has the ability to generate an alternating current (AC) output. This is achieved by using components such as capacitors, inductors, and resistors that work together to create a continuous cycle of energy exchange.

2. How does an oscillating circuit work?

An oscillating circuit works by using the principles of capacitance and inductance to store and release energy in a continuous cycle. When the circuit is first turned on, the capacitor stores energy and then releases it to the inductor. The inductor then stores this energy and releases it back to the capacitor, creating a continuous flow of energy. This cycle repeats itself, resulting in an alternating current output.

3. What is the importance of an oscillating circuit in physics?

Oscillating circuits are important in physics because they are used in a variety of devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. They also play a crucial role in the study of electromagnetism and the principles of energy exchange.

4. How do you calculate the frequency of an oscillating circuit?

The frequency of an oscillating circuit can be calculated using the formula: f = 1/(2π√LC), where f is the frequency in hertz (Hz), L is the inductance in henries (H), and C is the capacitance in farads (F). This formula is derived from the resonance frequency of the circuit.

5. What factors can affect the oscillation of a circuit?

Several factors can affect the oscillation of a circuit, including the values of the components used, the quality of the components, and external factors such as temperature and electromagnetic interference. Changing these factors can alter the frequency and amplitude of the oscillations in the circuit.