Physics professor denies climate change

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's experience with their professor's denial of climate change and seeking advice on how to handle the situation. The expert advises the student to not engage in a debate with the professor and to focus on learning from them regardless of their personal beliefs. The conversation ends with a reminder to avoid discussing political topics in the forum.
wolfman11
My first post here. I'm not sure who else to consult.

Yesterday in my "Technical Physics" class, my professor went on a rant about climate change. He denied that the Earth is warming at all, but instead cooling due to solar activity. He made a claim that we are actually headed for a cooler period and that the data showing steadily increasing temperatures over the last hundred years was "bad science". He was very irate while on his rant and I didn't know enough facts off hand to debate him, so I didn't refute his opinion.

Now I'm left with a very bad feeling about his class. I feel like I don't want to be taught science by him.

Can anyone share some wisdom on this subject?

If anyone can share credible information to support his claims I would like to see it.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello wolfie, welcome to PF :smile: !

My advice: don't worry about this. Let it pass. Seeking a quarrel with a teacher is a bad idea. He may be right or wrong, doesn't matter. He can still teach you a lot of physics.

This does not mean that I agree with him, just that your best choice (imho) is to ignore this hobby of his.

I agree that getting into a debate with a professor in a class that you're taking is generally a bad idea. The exception would be if he's pulling some kind of stunt where he wants his students to go and look into the literature on the issue and come back at him with evidence, but usually if that's the case (i) the students will know it, and (ii) there will be a formal component to it.

Good advice and as we don't discuss the politics behind CC and this isn't the proper forum, this thread is closed.

1. Why would a physics professor deny climate change?

There could be a variety of reasons why a physics professor may deny climate change. Some possible reasons include personal beliefs, lack of understanding or knowledge on the subject, or financial or political motivations.

2. Is it common for physicists to deny climate change?

No, it is not common for physicists to deny climate change. In fact, the overwhelming majority of scientists, including physicists, agree that human activities are contributing to climate change.

3. How can a physics professor deny something that is supported by scientific evidence?

While it may seem contradictory for a scientist to deny something that is supported by evidence, it is important to remember that scientists are not infallible and can hold personal beliefs that may differ from scientific consensus. It is also possible for a physicist to specialize in a different area and not have a thorough understanding of climate science.

4. What impact does a physics professor denying climate change have on the scientific community?

A physics professor denying climate change can have a negative impact on the scientific community, as it can create confusion and misinformation among the public. It can also undermine the credibility of the scientific community and hinder efforts to address and mitigate the effects of climate change.

5. How can we address and educate those who deny climate change, especially if they are scientists?

It is important to approach those who deny climate change with patience and open-mindedness. It may be helpful to discuss the scientific evidence and listen to their perspective before presenting counterarguments. Engaging in respectful and informed dialogue can help to bridge the gap and promote understanding and acceptance of climate change. It may also be helpful to provide educational resources and encourage further research and learning on the topic.