1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Physics professor denies climate change

1. Oct 7, 2015 #1
    My first post here. I'm not sure who else to consult.

Yesterday in my "Technical Physics" class, my professor went on a rant about climate change. He denied that the Earth is warming at all, but instead cooling due to solar activity. He made a claim that we are actually headed for a cooler period and that the data showing steadily increasing temperatures over the last hundred years was "bad science". He was very irate while on his rant and I didn't know enough facts off hand to debate him, so I didn't refute his opinion.

Now I'm left with a very bad feeling about his class. I feel like I don't want to be taught science by him.

Can anyone share some wisdom on this subject?

If anyone can share credible information to support his claims I would like to see it.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello wolfie, welcome to PF :smile: !

My advice: don't worry about this. Let it pass. Seeking a quarrel with a teacher is a bad idea. He may be right or wrong, doesn't matter. He can still teach you a lot of physics.

This does not mean that I agree with him, just that your best choice (imho) is to ignore this hobby of his.

4. Oct 7, 2015 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I agree that getting into a debate with a professor in a class that you're taking is generally a bad idea. The exception would be if he's pulling some kind of stunt where he wants his students to go and look into the literature on the issue and come back at him with evidence, but usually if that's the case (i) the students will know it, and (ii) there will be a formal component to it.

5. Oct 7, 2015 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Good advice and as we don't discuss the politics behind CC and this isn't the proper forum, this thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook