1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics proton electric field questions

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1
    I have multiple choice questions, but I only get one chance, so I want to make sure I answer correctly.

1. A charged rod is brought near a suspended object, which is attracted to the rod. Can we conclude that the suspended object is charged? Explain.
    o Yes
    o No

Yes, the suspended object is negatively charged.

2. A proton moves in a region of constant electric field. Does it follow that the proton's velocity is parallel to the electric field?
    o Yes
    o No

No, it moves in the opposite direction.

Does it follow that the proton's acceleration is parallel to the electric field? Explain.
    o Yes
    o No

I am not sure in this case.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2

Gold Member

You're right if the rod is positively charged.
    Okay, you might say it's anti-parallel I think. But isn't the convention of the E-field direction as being from positive to negative charge? Think about it.
    Plus, a proton could have been throw in the E-field and its motion wouldn't be a straight line, making the question hard to answer.

It does not follow from the past question, but in a constant E field, the proton suffer a force in the direction of the E-field. Why? Check out the definition of E-field, it is related to the force. Then think about Newton's second law about how force and acceleration are related.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook