Charged proton enters an electric field

In summary, a proton with horizontal velocity enters a region with a constant electric field of 1.0 x 10-7 N/C that points upwards (away from the Earth). The electric field causes the proton to move in a downwards direction, suggesting that the proton has a negative net force.
physicsundergrad123
Homework Statement
A proton with horizontal velocity enters a region with a constant electric field of 1.0 x 10-7 N/C that points upwards (away from the Earth). Describe the trajectory of the proton
Relevant Equations
(mp=1.67 x 10-27 kg, qp=e=1.6 x 10-19 C).
FE= E x q. Fg= mg
I tried to do Net force with electric field = E x q minus the gravitational force= mg. However, this gives me a negative net force suggesting the proton is moving downwards. I'm not sure this is correct as the initial velocity was horizontal. Was there no gravitational force before? Am I missing a step?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsundergrad123 said:
Homework Statement:: A proton with horizontal velocity enters a region with a constant electric field of 1.0 x 10-7 N/C that points upwards (away from the Earth). Describe the trajectory of the proton
Homework Equations:: (mp=1.67 x 10-27 kg, qp=e=1.6 x 10-19 C).
FE= E x q. Fg= mg

Net force with electric field = E x q minus the gravitational force= mg
The force due to the electric field does not involve a vector cross product. The force due to a magnetic field does involve a cross product. Or are you using "x" to represent a multiplication?

If so, can you show your detailed calcs please? Thanks.

physicsundergrad123 said:
Homework Statement:: A proton with horizontal velocity enters a region with a constant electric field of 1.0 x 10-7 N/C that points upwards (away from the Earth). Describe the trajectory of the proton
Homework Equations:: (mp=1.67 x 10-27 kg, qp=e=1.6 x 10-19 C).
FE= E x q. Fg= mg

I tried to do Net force with electric field = E x q minus the gravitational force= mg. However, this gives me a negative net force suggesting the proton is moving downwards. I'm not sure this is correct as the initial velocity was horizontal. Was there no gravitational force before? Am I missing a step?
Seems to the the two opposing forces are going to be very close in magnitude, so you will need to use more precise values for charge etc.
Please post your calculation, as requested by @berkeman .

1. What is a charged proton?

A charged proton is a subatomic particle that carries a positive charge and is found in the nucleus of an atom. It is also known as a hydrogen ion.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which an electric charge experiences a force. It is created by a charged object and can be either attractive or repulsive.

3. How does a charged proton enter an electric field?

A charged proton enters an electric field when it is introduced into the region where the electric field exists. The proton will experience a force and move in the direction of the electric field lines.

4. What happens to a charged proton when it enters an electric field?

When a charged proton enters an electric field, it will experience a force that causes it to accelerate in the direction of the electric field lines. The magnitude and direction of the force depend on the strength and direction of the electric field.

5. What are the applications of a charged proton entering an electric field?

Charged protons entering an electric field are used in a wide range of applications, including in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and electronic devices such as transistors. They are also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in various environments, such as in space or during chemical reactions.