Physics question about deriving a one dimensional kinematic equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the kinematic equations and their applications in finding the distance traveled by a stone dropped from rest with a known acceleration. The equations used are ΔY = 1/2AT^2 and ΔY = AT^2, and the conversation also explains the assumptions and derivations behind these equations. The question of why we divide by 2 in the first equation is also addressed.
zeromodz
Okay, we all know that

ΔX = ViT + 1/2AT^2

Say I drop a stone from rest and I want to find its distance at a given time knowing the acceleration. Since the initial velocity is zero and its accelerating vertically we can say.

ΔY = 1/2AT^2
ΔY = (AT^2) / 2 <------------------------- Keep in mind this equation.

Now, let's start from scratch with this.

D = VT
In this case we can say.
ΔY = VT
If the stone is being dropped we can say that.
Vf = Vi + AT
V = AT

ΔY = (AT)T
ΔY = AT^2 <---------------------------------------… Now compare this equation to the one I got earlier.

Why are we dividing by 2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
zeromodz said:
Okay, we all know that

ΔX = ViT + 1/2AT^2

Say I drop a stone from rest and I want to find its distance at a given time knowing the acceleration. Since the initial velocity is zero and its accelerating vertically we can say.

ΔY = 1/2AT^2
ΔY = (AT^2) / 2 <------------------------- Keep in mind this equation.

Now, let's start from scratch with this.

D = VT
In this case we can say.
ΔY = VT
If the stone is being dropped we can say that.
Vf = Vi + AT
V = AT

ΔY = (AT)T
ΔY = AT^2 <---------------------------------------… Now compare this equation to the one I got earlier.

Why are we dividing by 2 ?

The D=VT equation is only valid for an AVERAGE velocity. You will note that d=vt+1/2at^2 reduces to this in a=0, since average velocity is the same as instantaneous velocity.

The kinematic equations are nice for solving problems, but you really need to realize what the assumptions behind each of them is. It helps if you derive them all at least once, so you know HOW to get the equation and exactly what was assumed for that derivation.

Cheers!

1. What are the basic principles of kinematics?

The basic principles of kinematics involve the study of motion and the factors that affect it, such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement. It is based on the laws of motion proposed by Sir Isaac Newton.

2. How do you derive a one dimensional kinematic equation?

A one dimensional kinematic equation can be derived using the three basic equations of motion: v = u + at, s = ut + 1/2at^2, and v^2 = u^2 + 2as. These equations can be rearranged and substituted to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the distance and direction of an object's final position from its initial position. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It can either be positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down). It affects an object's motion by changing its velocity and therefore, its position over time.

5. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, whereas instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity can be calculated over a longer time interval, while instantaneous velocity is measured at a specific point in time.