1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics question about deriving a one dimensional kinematic equation?

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    Okay, we all know that

ΔX = ViT + 1/2AT^2

Say I drop a stone from rest and I want to find its distance at a given time knowing the acceleration. Since the initial velocity is zero and its accelerating vertically we can say.

ΔY = 1/2AT^2
    ΔY = (AT^2) / 2 <------------------------- Keep in mind this equation.

Now, lets start from scratch with this.

D = VT
    In this case we can say.
    ΔY = VT
    If the stone is being dropped we can say that.
    Vf = Vi + AT
    V = AT

ΔY = (AT)T
    ΔY = AT^2 <---------------------------------------… Now compare this equation to the one I got earlier.

Why are we dividing by 2 ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

The D=VT equation is only valid for an AVERAGE velocity. You will note that d=vt+1/2at^2 reduces to this in a=0, since average velocity is the same as instantaneous velocity.

The kinematic equations are nice for solving problems, but you really need to realize what the assumptions behind each of them is. It helps if you derive them all at least once, so you know HOW to get the equation and exactly what was assumed for that derivation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook